Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aural tests grade 1

(13 Posts)
Didiplanthis Thu 06-Apr-17 21:58:51

Dd is looking at maybe doing grade 1 abrsm violin at some point. She hasn't done much aural yet but we have been clapping a few rhythms in the car talking about music we listen to etc and trying to get her to sing back a few notes. This is where it goes wrong. She really really can't pitch her voice. She cant sing for toffee bless her. Not even singalonga frozen style ! Bizarrely she can pitch her violin reasonably so she can hear it just not get it back out . She doesn't seem able to move her voice up or down on demand. I struggle to get this as I can sing ok but it just happens. What can I do to help her ? Should we be going down the exam route if this is going to be a major sticking point ? She's nearly 8 so will this get better ? Any tips. I obviously haven't told her her singing is quite unique - She enjoys singing and is pretty unconfident generally so would hate to knock her confidence. I kind of feel we just keep practicing stuff but would love to hear from anyone who can advise !

Witchend Thu 06-Apr-17 22:52:29

Dh has perfect pitch, but still couldn't sing in tune until he was about 10 or 11yo.
He used to play the aural back on the piano-I don't know if this is still allowed though.

Wafflenose Thu 06-Apr-17 23:01:22

You can play it or whistle instead, but I honestly wouldn't worry about it. The exam is marked out of 150, and the singing portion is worth about 4. She will get 1 mark for singing anything at all, and 2 for something utterly inaccurate, or the right rhythm and wrong notes. I would go ahead, and not give it any more thought!

onlymusic Thu 06-Apr-17 23:35:54

I am not sure if playing allowed on lower grades, but on older grades it is still there. dd was playing rather than singing during last two exams. I know though that some students take a number of singing lessons specially for aural test preparation-may be it worth considering that?

woolleybear Fri 07-Apr-17 08:21:22

Dd can't sing for love nor money but has been fine, it's not her best section but she has passed it.

We really rate the Aural apps you can get for the ipad.

Noteventhebestdrummer Fri 07-Apr-17 08:25:39

Some kids can hum better than sing. Some can copy pitch better from another singer rather than piano so that's a good way in.
Otherwise, ask her to sing a note and then find it on the piano, then work around that pitch in the ones you're asking her to copy.

Definitely don't give up! Everyone can learn to sing in tune!

Fleurdelise Fri 07-Apr-17 08:56:51

I wouldn't worry, by all means do the practice, you can download the aural app, but she won't fail due to the singing part.

WhatHaveIFound Fri 07-Apr-17 09:00:06

DS was allowed to whistle in his G1/G2 piano exams. He wouldn't have been comfortable singing (or speaking for that matter).

Wafflenose Fri 07-Apr-17 19:23:19

You are allowed to play it back at any grade. It's harder than humming though.

OverAndAbove Fri 07-Apr-17 19:40:53

Yes, as all the above, there are options - but also, they are not testing the ability to sing in tune, they are testing whether they can recall and reproduce the pattern of the notes etc.

If she sounds a bit flat (they often do!) it doesn't matter. The abrsm app is great and it sounds like some practice humming along to that might help

onlymusic Fri 07-Apr-17 22:01:52

I didn't realise playing rather singing was allowed at lowers grades, I thought this option was from grade 4 (have no idea why I thought so). Saying that the singing in the first grades was much easier that singing in grade 5 -it is a nightmare imo! Grade 4 is ok ish - there are 9 notes to sing if I remember correctly but grade 5 is a real shock

Didiplanthis Mon 10-Apr-17 18:10:33

Thanks for all the advice - that all sounds very reassuring ! I'll stop worrying but maybe look for the app.

whatatod0 Fri 14-Apr-17 01:43:11

I've taught dc like this.
I first get them to practise controlling their voice by using my hand in the air to show whether their pitch (humming to start with) should move up or down. Once they can control the voice, we start to copy easy notes so they can sing/hum up and down in tones. Then start to include jumps etc etc. It can be learnt. I find showing the pitch with my hand really helps to start with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now