Talk

Advanced search

piano grade 1 or jump to 2?

(9 Posts)
RedBugMug Thu 23-Feb-17 18:12:52

dc has had lessons for 2 years now and is progressing nicely.
teacher has said dc is ready but has thrown in that grade 2 would be possible.

wwyd?

Fleurdelise Thu 23-Feb-17 19:09:54

If the teacher believes he/she is ready for 2 I'd go for grade 2. It depends though, is dc ready for 1 passed at distinction level or 2 at pass level? In that case I'd go for grade 1 to give them better sense of achievement.

Ferguson Thu 23-Feb-17 20:22:30

Personally I would consider the confidence boost of a Distinction at Grade 1 (which should be easily achievable after two years) could be preferable to scraping through at Grade2.

Is he/she fully confident with sight reading, aural, scales, theory and are all pieces played with appropriate feeling, style etc. A lot more than just playing the correct notes is required to make good progress through the Grades, and interpretation and sympathy for the music is very important.

RedBugMug Thu 23-Feb-17 20:27:50

thanks a lot.
the teacher will give us the exercise books at the next lesson to see what's achievable.
dc is very able (if I say so myself) but so far has not practiced towards a test.

Mistigri Fri 24-Feb-17 07:26:11

I think I would opt for an easy and quick grade 1 pass just for the exam experience, then skip to grade 3. Or no exam and do grade 3 in a year or so.

RedBugMug Sat 25-Feb-17 14:46:06

thanks
have decided to do grade 1 now and then see next year if we do 2 or 3.

Fleurdelise Sat 25-Feb-17 14:57:48

Good decision, dd did grade 1 followed by 3 and now 5 planned for the next term. This gave her time to focus on other things to learn, not just exam pieces.

LooseAtTheSeams Sun 26-Feb-17 10:30:00

I think that's a great idea - especially if you didn't do the prep test. Get the exam experience from 1 and then set 3 as a target.
DS2 is plodding through each exam but after grade 4 he's going to have a term focusing on theory and doing some fun pieces before starting grade 5. I missed out grades 1 and 2 and started at 3, which is a bit more of a shock to the system!

raspberryrippleicecream Sun 26-Feb-17 12:33:59

DS2 did Grade 1, then skipped to Grade 4. No need for everyone at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now