Talk

Advanced search

Sore legs after gymnastics - any tips?

(5 Posts)
Bogburglar75 Sun 12-Feb-17 18:41:14

Hi

DD is 8 and does 7 hours a week of gym training, split across an acro group and display team. She's not the best in the group by a long chalk, but enjoys what she does and looks to me to be progressing well. Generally her coaches are lovely and, at DDs level, have an extremely positive approach.

Yesterday afternoon apparently the coaches had the 'tops' sitting on the floor and bent their legs back over their heads (I think). DD is really quite stiff and sore this morning in her upper legs. Is that to be expected as she progresses and they try to extend her flexibility? Any good ways of easing the soreness? She is generally very bendy - kind of child who is to be found taking a nap on the sofa with one leg behind her ear grin

Thanks for any advice!

DelphineCormier Sun 12-Feb-17 19:25:23

Totally normal. They just have to work through the pain.

Bogburglar75 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:51:12

Thanks! I'll break out the tough love then smile. I am so far from being a gymnast it's laughable, so it's useful to have the odd bit of advice from those who know.

DelphineCormier Sun 12-Feb-17 22:09:15

Oh, me too! DD does rhythmic, so ridiculous stretching. It's pretty normal for them to feel it the next day or even for a couple of days after. Mine finds gentle stretching the next day helps if she isn't already doing some kind of activity requiring stretching, but they do seem to get used to it pretty quickly. First few times are always a shock though!

dancemom Thu 16-Feb-17 22:34:01

Rollers are great for sore muscles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now