Talk

Advanced search

Split sole ballet shoes. From what age?

(7 Posts)
angorawood Sat 04-Feb-17 23:20:08

Just out of interest, was at a festival this weekend.
I know RAD now allow them from later grades, not sure of IDTA, ISTD, BBO etc Also, they seem to wear them as young as possible on the festival/competition circuit (from 7 years that I've seen). What about auditions also?
The dancers from one school wore these lovely split soles which looked like socks they were so form fitting, and canvas I think, but very nice. What brand could this have been?

Thanks in advance grin

AlexanderHamilton Sat 04-Feb-17 23:26:23

It partly depends on the teacher.

My daughter was not allowed to wear split sole until age 11 & auditions for vocational school. Her teacher said that full sole developed strength in the foot better & didn't allow split sole for younger students & even then only for performances under about Grade 5.

Split sole do look nice for performances & auditions as they enhance the arch of the foot.

Mindtrope Sun 05-Feb-17 06:49:14

Your teacher will advise. My DD started wearing them from 12. I think for modern dance first, then ballet. She wears Bloch canvas split sole for regular classes, but of course exams need lots of different shoes.

WishITookLifeSeriously Sun 05-Feb-17 06:52:54

DD is 8. She has really great feet and had been asking fir some split soles recently having seen the older girls at dancing wear them. Having spoken with her teacher we've agreed to keep full soles for class and use split soles when we are free to show off her feet. Eg festivals.

ftmsoon Sun 05-Feb-17 06:53:44

I started wearing them for RAD grade 6 + up. It was a while ago now! I have Freed ones and I love them. Also started wearing split sole jazz shoes around the same time, but mainly for shows.
Ask your teacher for the latest rules.

angorawood Mon 06-Feb-17 00:27:20

Thank you! I shall ask. Though I suspect dance teacher might be negative. We had a group of teenage girls doing their intermediate exams and they asked and weren't allowed to wear them.

Yes, they look lovely in festival dances and performances.

I just worry, that in an audition situation they'll have to try harder with their full sole shows to show off a nice foot. I suppose the people selecting will take it into account, if it's even much noticeable at all.

angorawood Mon 06-Feb-17 00:27:53

shoes not shows!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now