Talk

Advanced search

Music - Please look at this and pass on to others it may help

(18 Posts)
gillybeanz Thu 22-Dec-16 13:45:16

I love music and think good education should be available to all irrespective of income.
It is such a strong feeling of mine and I wholeheartedly support the few organisations and charities that support young musicians.
Please help me by recommending this to someone you know may benefit.
I have nothing to do with this org or any other and nothing to gain other than spreading the word.

Thank you.
www.futuretalent.org/index.php/how-we-can-help-you/

gillybeanz Thu 22-Dec-16 14:10:10

Forgot to say, the deadline for applications for bursaries is mid January, so time is of the essence.

raspberryrippleicecream Thu 22-Dec-16 19:32:07

Bumping for gillybeanz

gillybeanz Thu 22-Dec-16 20:52:08

Thanks raspberry

Back from work and bumping for myself as such a great opportunity for folks.
Please if you read it and it's not for you, share with friends or other parents you feel may benefit, through their children.

Thanks

Paulweller11 Thu 22-Dec-16 21:14:15

Brilliant organisation- don't have any experience of applying but the idea is wonderful.

Trumpetboysmum Thu 22-Dec-16 21:18:20

I also think it's a great idea and really important that ALL children feel and are able to pursue music at a higher level there's lots of help out there ( like this organisation) you just need to know where to look

AlexandraLeaving Thu 22-Dec-16 21:27:41

Looks great, thanks for posting the link

stringchild Thu 22-Dec-16 23:37:12

Bumping - looks brilliant and supportive organisation

DancingDinosaur Thu 22-Dec-16 23:42:31

This is great op. Thanks for sharing.

gillybeanz Fri 23-Dec-16 11:38:15

Thanks very much, just spread the word to all and I'll be a happy bunny.
A few times each year I read a discussion on here or music forums where parents talk about not being able to afford certain aspects of musical education.
I know it can soon mount up and have struggled myself sometimes.
here's hoping that more people can benefit through organisations such as this.
Anyone new to these organisations, they don't just pay for lessons, they can help with so much more.

drummersmum Fri 23-Dec-16 15:04:40

Bump and a very jazzy Holiday for you gilly

gillybeanz Fri 23-Dec-16 15:31:42

Thanks drummersmum Best wishes to your, junior drummer and dh.

Hiding atm as dd finding me some clari duets to play with her sax. fgrin
Thanks for the bump. She's found me and set it up, no escape then.

Don't forget folks, the deadline for some applications is January, if you know someone who may benefit, pass the info on quickly.
They say they support those who had full class lessons in y6 the wider opportunities scheme to continue into secondary if parents can't afford lessons or instruments.
You don't have to be amazingly talented either.

CURIOUSMIND Fri 23-Dec-16 23:04:44

This bursary requires very low family income. They don't want talent, they want poor talent. Don't apply unless you want to waste your time.

Ineedmorepatience Tue 27-Dec-16 11:50:23

Thank you for sharing I will take a look later :-)

spaghettihoopsagain Wed 28-Dec-16 19:56:20

CURIOUSMIND do you know if they give out bursaries to families earning over their £30,000 limit? They say they do in exceptional circumstances but not sure what this means. It seems odd as obviously it depends very much on where you live and how many children you have too. We earn around 36000 but just joining the junior youth orchestra here would cost £1000 per year for our 3 children - and that is only for 8 rehearsals and no residential - can you believe it! It sounds like there is no point applying.

Blossomdeary Wed 28-Dec-16 20:08:22

I would endorse what an excellent project this is.

But I would also like to put in a plea for those who are never going to be highly musically talented but simply enjoy singing/playing. These pursuits can and do enhance people's lives, which is why I believe that every child should learn to read music and play a simple instrument as part of their primary education. It can be done - our village school has every single child learning an instrument and reading music on day one. Little ones play the ocarina and the older ones the recorder. Some are brilliant at it, some less so - but it is normalised as part of the school day (15 minutes every morning) - music is for everyone - just as sport is in all schools.

CURIOUSMIND Thu 29-Dec-16 20:32:16

spaghettihoopsagain,
Of course I know what you mean! When you are earning a decent salary, you are assumed to be able to afford everything. It took me some good hours to fill in the form, only got a short reply, that our income is beyond the threshold.

DancingDragon Thu 29-Dec-16 21:13:28

Theres plenty of families under the threshold that would benefit from this though. And I guess thats what its there for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now