Talk

Advanced search

Voice as a "second instrument"?

(14 Posts)
CutterSquidge Sun 13-Nov-16 10:12:24

DS is learning to play violin as his main instrument and he is a very good singer and we are hoping he will reach at least grade 5 in both by the time he is 11.

I would like some advise from more experienced parents, do schools regard voice as a second instrument, or does he need another instrument to have a chance to apply for a music scholarship?

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 13-Nov-16 10:16:18

My Dd has had voice as her first instrument and tuned percussion as her second all the way through school, but ideally she should also have had piano alongside voice as many music degrees require at least grade 5 piano for entry. I don't know about scholarships because my Dd went to a state school until she left, but she did achieve Advanced Higher music and has applied to a Conservatoire.

CutterSquidge Sun 13-Nov-16 10:25:50

Thank you for your reply! DS is doing so many extra curricular activities and refuses to drop any to make time for another instrument. I was hoping we could get away with just two. But I agree, piano is probably important if he wants to develop his music ability.

Earlgreyandcake Sun 13-Nov-16 10:27:29

How old is he? Don't forget you will need to do theory to progress beyond grade 5

CutterSquidge Sun 13-Nov-16 10:40:24

He is 6 and got grade 2 in violin and grade 2 singing exam is coming next term. I understand he needs to play at the level of grade 5 to have a chance to secure scholarship and some schools don't require the actual grade. He got a very good memory and reads music fluently, so hoping he won't struggle with theory too much.

Wafflenose Sun 13-Nov-16 10:54:44

As far as I know, singing would always be counted - certainly at all the schools I've worked at. But he is likely to be way beyond Grade 5 singing by then, so do be prepared to present it as his first study.

CutterSquidge Sun 13-Nov-16 11:00:49

Thank you Wafflenose! That's a great strategy.

stringchild Sun 13-Nov-16 11:11:38

Cutter - we are in midst of scholarship auditions for senior school, and all have taken voice as first instrument. Even non singers have to present a song for some of the schools, so it is def seen as an important and equal part of things.

gonegrey56 Sun 13-Nov-16 11:16:41

My dd got a top music scholarship to a prestigious school with voice as main instrument and without having taken any exams (not meant as a stealth boast, just to point out that the audition/interview was what mattered, and the school was looking at potential and future commitment ). Her piano skills were no higher than grade 3 I think . Good luck !

CutterSquidge Sun 13-Nov-16 20:11:43

Thank you for your answers! Will try and concentrate more on singing and maybe add a piano to the mix but at a later date.

Ferguson Sun 13-Nov-16 20:20:31

Piano or Keyboard is always useful to develop Theory knowledge and skills as a student gets older.

onlymusic Mon 14-Nov-16 20:42:09

Wafflenose if he is grade 2 in violin at 6yo, I bet he will be way beyond grade 5 in violin too!

Wafflenose Mon 14-Nov-16 20:50:42

Of course, only - but in my experience, singing progress can also be extremely rapid. I used to teach a little boy (clarinet and piano - at the time, he was plodding towards Grade 1 in both) who took Grade 4 aged 9, after less than a year of lessons.

pugsandseals Wed 16-Nov-16 20:07:52

No school worth their sort will ever turn away a talented musician for lack of a grade certificate- concentrate on technique & having fun & forget the exams (unless you have a lazy little blighter like mine who needs to take them just to make her play her scales)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now