Best North London ballet classes?

(10 Posts)
KittyStark Thu 27-Oct-16 15:32:51

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for ballet schools/classes in North London. My DC is 14, and wants a more challenging ballet school (and is also interested in trying different styles).

I would be very interested in getting some recommendations - thank you so much in advance!

dodobookends Thu 27-Oct-16 18:49:32

What grade/level is your dc at, and do you know which examining body syllabus are they studying at the moment?

dodobookends Sun 30-Oct-16 11:17:41

If your dc is keen to progress and/or has aspirations for a performing career, then maybe look for a ballet school that has several classes at Adv 1, Adv 2 & pointe a week, as that is a good indicator of the standard of current students and the quality of the training.

Don't know of any specific schools in N London, but two very good schools I know of (although they mean travelling) are Russian Imperial Ballet School, and West London School of Dance. Both top quality, and the principals are very well-known and have an excellent reputation.

Have you considered other things like associate programmes? There's London Junior & Senior Ballet, Central School of Ballet Preps and Pre-Seniors programme, and I believe there is now a ballet associate programme at Danceworks as well.

Danceworks and Pineapple have classes in a lot of other dance styles too, so may be worth having a go at some of their classes at the weekends. You will need to check whether classes are suitable for age 14 though.

KittyStark Tue 08-Nov-16 11:45:02

Hi Dodobookends, thanks so much for the reply! Sorry I didn't see it earlier - I didn't get the notification for some reason.
She is studying the Imperial syllabus (currently just level 4). She is also interested in trying out more dance styles, and I think she might enjoy especially the lyrical side of jazz and/or contemporary.
I will check out your tips next, thanks again so much for your time!

If anyone else has tips, please let me know...

dodobookends Wed 09-Nov-16 13:55:48

For contemporary classes there's Trinity Laban, London Studio Centre and The Place, and also check out the National Dance CAT schemes.

aginghippy Wed 09-Nov-16 14:31:47

My dd goes to Highgate Ballet School and I would recommend it for a serious dancer. They have several advanced and pointe classes each week and probably average one pupil per year who goes on to professional training. The focus is on ballet, there is only one contemporary class, but some of the pupils also go to The Place.

oenophilia Wed 09-Nov-16 14:52:50

If you are N8, N6, N4 way then also check out The YMCA Harringay Club, by Hornsey Station. The ballet is RAD and is taught by one of their examiners - plenty of her pupils have gone on post 16 or to train as dance teachers. There are also modern jazz, tap and contemporary classes, again with good and enthusiastic teachers.

oenophilia Wed 09-Nov-16 14:52:56

If you are N8, N6, N4 way then also check out The YMCA Harringay Club, by Hornsey Station. The ballet is RAD and is taught by one of their examiners - plenty of her pupils have gone on post 16 or to train as dance teachers. There are also modern jazz, tap and contemporary classes, again with good and enthusiastic teachers.

Dancergirl Thu 10-Nov-16 13:15:57

If you can get to Stanmore, try Van Niekerk Academy of Dance. Excellent for ballet, wide range of classes including pointe, non-syllabus classes and up to Advanced 1 and 2. Lots of students have gained places at Tring CBA, Royal Ballet JAs, Young Dancers Academy, London Children's Ballet, English Youth Ballet. Some have gone on to full time dance courses. The school does festivals too.

For modern, tap, jazz and contemporary I would recommend the Beverley Dance School in Queensbury.

KittyStark Tue 15-Nov-16 15:30:54

Thanks all for the wonderful suggestions! I am looking into all these. If anyone else knows of nice schools, please let me know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now