Grade 6 aural part D bootcamp

(9 Posts)
Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Mon 24-Oct-16 21:25:19

Ds is 10 and not a pianist. When asked about the texture of a piece he replied "rubbery?" His exam is in just over a month. How can I help him with this part of the test: are there any websites out there which list the options for textures and periods and explain why?

andantecantabile Mon 24-Oct-16 21:37:58

I have this book (sorry for enormous link)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ABRSM-Aural-Training-Practice-Grades/dp/B0050GUPAO/ref=sr11_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477341213&sr=8-2&keywords=aural+training+in+practice+grade+6-8

I use it with my students, it has some visual representations of the different textures that are very good (in my opinion). My students have seemed to grasp the ideas from it. I've also used the Paul Harris Improve Your Aural Grade 6 book which is also very good.

HerestoyouMrsRobinson Mon 24-Oct-16 21:40:41

A good teacher can demonstrate and explain it in 5 minutes max, you shouldn't have to seek resources yourself.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Thu 27-Oct-16 14:48:23

Has your DCs teacher specifically asked you to help with aural tests? Nothing wrong in being a supportive parent, but teachers should be covering all this. Not a month before the exam, but right from the start, it should all be part of a general conversation in lessons.

Listen to lots of music together and discuss it. Also, the Aural Test Survival books are quite good, as is the Paul Harris one mentioned by andante

LilyBolero Fri 28-Oct-16 14:30:01

Texture is just about layers. Is it;

chords? (homophonic)
2 or 3 independent parts? (polyphonic)
tune and broken chord accompaniment? (melody dominated homophony)
unison?

That's basically it.

LilyBolero Fri 28-Oct-16 14:30:33

www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/music/elements_of_music/texture1.shtml

BrollySmolly Sun 30-Oct-16 23:33:08

My Dd went from grade 5 to grade 7. She was only 11 and I was shocked at how difficult grade 6, 7 and 8 aural is. I ended up paying for around 5 lessons, just on the aural part of the exam. She only lost 2 marks from each part of the exam, so it was definitely worth it!

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Mon 31-Oct-16 16:10:40

Ds is fine with the rest of the aural but his teacher suggested I give him a bit of help at home with part D. I was pretty shocked at the difficulty myself but I guess most kids are a lot older when they do grade 6. Ds also started grade 6 theory which he's finding tough, unlike grade 5 theory which was a doddle.

LilyBolero Mon 31-Oct-16 16:29:59

Honestly, don't stress about the last section. It's worth maybe 2 or 3 marks, and is not worth getting too angsty about.

The hardest thing I think is structure, but start by counting sections, and then listening to more detail there, but texture is easy.

The main thing is to limit the options in your mind - e.g. texture - is it chords or is it independent parts? Is it tune and accompaniment or are both hands equally important? Same with the other bits, e.g. character is really fast or slow, loud or quiet, smooth or detached, major or minor and the word 'mostly' is v helpful.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much, it's one very tiny bit of the whole exam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now