Talk

Advanced search

Beavers

(6 Posts)
PeanutButterLips Fri 14-Oct-16 17:44:38

Hi my son currently goes to a Christian church beavers group.
A work colleague mentioned her son goes there so asked if my son would like to go and he loves going there and has made friends.
However my son is a Catholic. Would this in any way be frowned upon that he attends a Christian church beavers group?
I would hate to take him out as he has just been invested and he loves the kids there. But he does have to attend the Church associated with the group for parades.
Any help please
Thanks

oklumberjack Fri 14-Oct-16 17:48:42

I have no idea about your particular group obviously but the ethos of scouting is that's it's inclusive.
My ds went to Beavers and we're atheists. We do however take part in the Remembrance day parade. I see this as an important cultural and historical event. Yes we say the Lord's Prayer and one year my ds even got to hold the banner which he was proud of. I believe it's important to show respect to religious prayers (even though we don't believe) and have no qualms taking part.

Wikkitikki Sat 15-Oct-16 18:59:21

Our friends are Muslim and their son attended Beavers. Once a month they had parade service and parents were expected to attend the church service but I'm not sure if they did but they were never made to feel like they weren't welcome.

Passthecake30 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:02:22

Mine go cubs and beavers, I would say we are non practising (lazy) c of e.... They only go to church on rememberance day and st Georges day, but they are expected to go.

titchy Sat 15-Oct-16 19:11:22

It's not clear what the actual problem is sorry. Is it that as a catholic family you all go to church a, but on parades (there are only two a year) he'd be expected to go to the church the colony is based at? What's the problem with him going to the colony church twice a year? Or is he expected to go every week? In which case just don't - they can't make you, although you should have checked before he joined tbh.

Floralnomad Sat 15-Oct-16 19:15:30

I can't see this being an issue and you don't have to go to any parades. Most groups encourage it and like the children to go but you are under no obligation, after all lots of children have other things they do which will clash ie football / rugby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now