Talk

Advanced search

ABRSM exams

(7 Posts)
PetraDelphiki Mon 22-Aug-16 13:38:23

Is it ever possible to choose your own piece for a piano exam? One of dd's friends was saying that her teacher has said she can choose her own c piece...just wondering if this is a misunderstanding or just something I've never heard of?

OdinsLoveChild Mon 22-Aug-16 13:52:06

My DD says that she got to choose from a selection from the syllabus. She couldn't just randomly choose any piece she fancied. But this may be different now as its been a few years since she took hers.

NatalieRushman Mon 22-Aug-16 14:01:04

You have to choose from the syllabus. Most people do pieces from the official book of pieces, which has a choice of 3 pieces for each of the 3 sections. However, there are also other options in the syllabus that aren't in the book - this may be what she means?

Christabella21 Mon 22-Aug-16 14:03:04

You can choose from any piece on the syllabus within that section. There is a book with pieces per section but then there are also more pieces to choose from - her teacher should have access to that list. You can't just choose what you fancy as each piece is carefully selected to display certain skills required at each grade. If she doesn't like any of the pieces in her current grade book or is struggling it may be worth talking to her teacher about choosing another from the list.

PetraDelphiki Mon 22-Aug-16 14:32:18

That's what I thought...she's talking about just choosing a piece she likes :-(

Icouldbeknitting Tue 23-Aug-16 15:17:01

I'm sure that the teacher will set her straight when she rolls up with something from Frozen. The teacher probably did say that she could chose her own C piece but as everyone else has said, she gets to pick it from the repertoire list for part C (available online if you ever want a nosey) rather than it being a totally free choice.

Lunar1 Mon 29-Aug-16 16:45:14

Ds1 could pick piece of his own when own did the prep test, could that be what she means?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now