Talk

Advanced search

Question about RYA dinghy sailing courses

(6 Posts)
ReallyTired Mon 25-Jul-16 19:57:30

Is it possible to fail RYA level 1 dinghy sailing? (If a teen attends two day course and tries his best. No special needs.) Ds has done one day of a two day sailing course and tells me he found everything difficult. He has no prior sailing experience.

imayhavelostmymarbles Mon 25-Jul-16 20:06:39

While I am sure it is possible, it is unlikely. They are keen to teach you, and sailors are some of the most helpful people I have met when I did level 1/2. He doesnt need to be confidently sailing off into the sunset for level one. Can he have a chat with the instructor?

LIZS Mon 25-Jul-16 20:08:43

DC don't think so. What makes him think he'll fail? The only real test is knots.

nuttymango Mon 25-Jul-16 20:10:18

The trainers are going to do their best to get people through, my DD does an RYA sailing club and she says most people pass level 1/2 as long as they are being sensible.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Mon 25-Jul-16 20:13:08

Even I passed mine and I spent most of my time righting my capsized dinghy! Don't worry.

ThornyBird Mon 25-Jul-16 20:13:52

It took me 2 lots of 5x3hr lessons to pass my level 1 from never having set foot in a sailing boat before. But I was a 40+ yo unfit mother of 4 and it was weekly sessions so plenty of time to forget stuff inbetween.

But you don't fail, you just don't pass where I do it - things I could do get ticked off in the book until everything had a tick, I had some level 2 ticks before I'd got L1. Plus I agree with imay that the instructors have been incredibly patient and helpful.

I found it difficult at first - like driving, there are so many new things you are trying to remember that it easy to get disheartened. BUT I have recently completed L2 after my 3rd set of lessons and am now regularly crewing for a friend in their racing yacht so it does fall into place quickly after the initial shock in my experience smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now