Talk

Advanced search

DD doing Grade 3 electric guitar exam this weekend - clueless parent!

(9 Posts)
feetheart Tue 19-Jul-16 11:22:02

Just looking for some hints and tips to support our DD(13) for her guitar exam this weekend.
It is the first music exam she has ever done and neither DH or I have ever done anything similar so are clueless!
Her guitar teacher has given her tips about how it works but any further advice from those in the know would be great.
Thanks

Wafflenose Tue 19-Jul-16 11:50:07

If you re-post in the music thread, there is usually someone around to chat. Lots of good general exam advice in there as well. Good luck to your DD!

BertrandRussell Tue 19-Jul-16 11:55:54

Make sure she's sure about her scales.
Get there in plenty of time.
If she goes wildly wrong in one of her pieces, stop and ask if she can start again rather than getting further bogged down.
Remember that they are looking for ways to pass you, not to fail you.

feetheart Tue 19-Jul-16 12:29:23

Didn't realise there was a music topic, will search it out.
Thanks for tips BertrandRussell

Ferguson Tue 19-Jul-16 20:39:33

Is that with Trinity??

If so, look on their website for more information, and possibly a 'forum'.

feetheart Wed 20-Jul-16 09:36:45

Rock School I think. Will see if there is anything on their website.

exampanic Thu 21-Jul-16 00:43:44

Ds did rockschool grade 3 as his first ever exam, same age. I seem to remember he had to take some stuff with him, cables, cd with music. He was given a little room to practise beforehand. So being at the centre in good time definitely recommended. Younger siblings had done some abrsm exams, in instruments that I'm more familiar with. Because he had never done any aural tests at a earlier grade, he struggled with it. His younger siblings had done some abrsm aural tests but rockschool seemed to be a bit different. On the way to the exam he asked me some theory questions that I don't think my dd needed to know for her grade 3 abrsm exam. So basically checking out the syllabus and see exactly what the requirements are before driving to the exam also useful.....

feetheart Thu 21-Jul-16 13:33:39

Thanks exampanic that's great (not showing DD your user name smile) and thanks everyone else.
All other hints and tips are most welcome.

Ferguson - lovely to see you on here as I was about to come looking for you to say thank you! You gave us great advice about choosing a digital piano for our son about a year ago (another instance of us being clueless!) We went to see him perform at school for the first time yesterday which made me very proud. He is loving it and the digital piano we bought is getting a lot of use. Thank you for helping us get it right grin

Ferguson Thu 21-Jul-16 18:51:18

Good Luck to DD for her Grade 3!

And here are a few 'links' that may be of some use. I always say to students, try and enjoy it, think about the 'mood' and 'style' of the pieces, and try to give the Examiner an enjoyable listening experience.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt1OQkXt7G8

www.justinguitar.com/

martintaylor.com/

(I'm glad the piano was a success; sometime tell what sort you got.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now