We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best Instrument To Start With?

(4 Posts)
PolkaDottie25 Mon 18-Jul-16 17:23:52

What is the best instrument to start with? People say Piano, but he would rather do drums or guitar, which is better to start?

Wafflenose Mon 18-Jul-16 19:41:39

It depends on the child's interests really. I think piano is really hard to start with, and much prefer teaching it when the child can already read music. Drums and guitar are very different, but I know children who've started on both of these from age 6 and up, with resounding success. DD had a friend who started guitar at 5 and went on to do quite well, but her mum now feels that she was throwing her money away for the first year or so. How old is he?

Ferguson Thu 21-Jul-16 19:14:18

Guitar is quite difficult at first.

I always suggest a reasonable electronic keyboard, with full size keys, at least 61, and if you can afford it, 76. (Even though children may be young and have small hands, they quickly get used to a keyboard.) The various sounds (often 500 or so) and the automatic features, make it entertaining for young children, and it will have Drum sounds as well. Then,if they get keen they can progress to learning piano style in due course.

Or if they prefer wind instruments, trumpet or cornet, or clarinet, flute or saxophone may be suitable; some junior schools, and virtually all secondary schools will have access to some music tuition. Instruments can often be purchased via a school or county music service at discounted prices and without VAT.

www.yamahamusiclondon.com/NPV80-Piaggero-Digital-Keyboard/pidYAM-NPV80

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Mon 25-Jul-16 20:15:22

The one that inspires your child to play it. Doesn't matter if it's a recorder, a harp or a drumkit. They need to really want to play it and to love the sound it makes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now