Dd(5) would like to start dance

(6 Posts)
Justtrying Mon 27-Jun-16 12:50:59

Dd aged 5, just finishing reception would like to start dance.

However I have done some research and it seems a massive commitment. I was hoping she could do modern dance but now realise most schools insist on ballet first.

Dd already swims and does tennis( which she may stop soon)at weekends, I really want a weekend class as Dd doesn't get home from school until 4.45 on a school night.

Dd is quite tall and whilst certainly not fat, doesn't have the fine lines one would expect from a classical dancer, also am I correct in thinking most little girls will have started at 3 years old?

What I and Dd would really like is a fun, dance orientated recreational class, without exams and pressure.

Any ideas?

We are in Knowsley if it helps.

Seeline Mon 27-Jun-16 13:05:11

My DD did start at just after 2 (she is nearly 12 now) and girls regularly join her classes, so not all start very young.
Most do start with ballet before modern because it helps with body strength and posture.
However, ballet is not really necessary for tap so that might be an option.
Another more relaxed style is street which is also popular.
You really need to check out all the classes in your area and see which fit your requirements. I am sure that there will be a choice, including Saturday classes.

Ferguson Tue 28-Jun-16 20:48:29

You should be able to find something via this link:

www.eada.org.uk/dancesport/organisations

Wikkitikki Wed 29-Jun-16 15:16:27

Please be wary of schools that do an annual show. It's fun for them to wear sparkly costumes but not so much fun when half the year is spent rehearsing. My dd was once attended a dance school and we heard the 'teacher' telling off a girl in the 6/7yr olds class because their mum hadn't packed her correct shoes for the dress rehearsal. She said the girl was 'old enough to remember herself' but she had gone to the class straight from school.
You need to choose carefully and ask if the teachers are qualified or insured. A lot of schools employ unqualified seniors and it can cause injury in some cases.

Bonbonchance Wed 29-Jun-16 17:18:44

5 is absolutely a great age to start - loads of children will start later! Ballet is a great foundation for any type of dance - if you've got a good ballet training you're set! At 5 it's just still quite fun & laying foundations anyway & body type doesn't really matter unless you're looking at auditioning for full time ballet school at 11. If she starts ballet just now then she'd be well placed to add modern or whatever in a year or so.

Have a look for a good school - RAD, ISTD are good organisations to have teachers qualified under (but obviously not the only deciding factor). Look into what they do in terms of shows & exams so you know what you're getting into!

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 30-Jun-16 14:26:55

I would suggest looking at a few dance schools near you that meant your requirements in terms of price, number of hours and times. Then go and visit one or two and see if she likes the atmosphere.

my eldest was 6 when she started and she is exceptionally tall, she very quickly caught up with the others and has overtaken most of them.

some schools do an hour of ballet and tap in the same class, some do an hour of ballet, half an hour of tap, some do 45minute classes, some do an hour of each, obviously most will be around the same hourly rate but if they do more hours then it can add up to quite a lot more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now