Talk

Advanced search

Urgent school trip advice for lightening up!!!

(4 Posts)
user1466956881 Sun 26-Jun-16 17:18:09

Hi, Need help please. Am on school trip (tomorrow) for 5 days with year 6 pupils. I have pretty high standards of behaviour for my kids esp around consideration for other people and respecting property (sorry sounds pompous but often see other parents letting kids hurt/annoy other children or damage things/drop litter and ignore it). I don't want to be an embarrassment to my child (not in my group) by being killjoy. Won't be able to have stiff drink to lighten up! Any ideas to get my group onside. Will be responsible for safety/protecting schools reputation/getting group ready etc on time and pastoral care if required. Teachers there too but have their own groups. Want to have fun without triggering behaviour that will get my goat and make me look like boring, heavy parent. Unfortunately there is also a child in my group who was really rude about me to my child (about my appearance - thanks) and is unkind to my child so I feel I'm already starting with a bit of a disadvantage - wish I'd asked not to have her in my group but too late now. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Heratnumber7 Sun 26-Jun-16 17:22:23

Make the rules very clear.
In Brownies we have a red yellow card system.

WreckingBallsInsideMyHead Sun 26-Jun-16 20:09:58

My advice is to move on as quickly as they do. Deal with whatever problem behaviour there is, but don't hold a grudge and even make s particular effort to engage with that child a little later. There are children I get on better with than others (similar interests or personalities), but I actually make more of an effort with the ones I don't gel with because they're kids and I'm the adult.

Discuss standards expected with the other adults in charge in advance. Agree things like consequences, bedtimes, etc beforehand so you're all doing the same. It sounds like you're a nonteacher so you may need to compromise and follow the teachers lead on some things

Let other adults discipline your own child as much as you can, obviously barring immediate safety issues. Stay in the background as far as your DC is concerned. You're not at home, you're not in sold charge, you might need to let slide things you wouldn't normally, it's ok, they're year6, they'll understand that being on a school trip is a different situation from being at home or on a family holiday

Make it clear that certain things are non negotiable and why (eg safety helmets for certain activities, staying in groups not wandering off on their own). Others can be negotiated eg if they prove they come back when they're supposed to, they get more freedom. If they prove you can't trust them, they get lesd

user1466956881 Tue 05-Jul-16 16:05:26

Hi Heratnumber7 and WreckingBallsInsideMyHead,
Thanks for the advice, had a fab time and the kids in my group were really fun and well behaved. Heeded the advice about making an effort with the more difficult child in my group which seemed to help. Fortunately the activities were all closely supervised by the centre and the teachers did a lot of the rules and boundary setting so all I had to do was join in with the activities, make the kids laugh by being REALLY bad at some of them and help them with practical stuff like hanging up heavy equipment etc. I am absolutely exhausted now and will thump anyone who ever describes these trips as a holiday or jolly for the teachers. Many thanks for the advice and moral support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now