Talk

Advanced search

Junior Tennis training squads/pvt coaches

(13 Posts)
nikidi Sat 07-May-16 12:01:42

Hi All,

We are relocating to London with 2 girls keen on tennis aged 8+ (green ball) 6+ (orange ball). currently training in elite performance squads and would like to continue similar training in the UK. what are our best options in Greenwich/blackheath/Putney/ Wimbledon /Epsom areas? or should we be looking at other areas? we haven't really decided on an area to locate to yet, but considering schools in these areas.

coming from the tropics - just wondering how training happens during the winter/rainy months. what are the indoor training options like?

it would be great to have an idea of costs as well.

any info will be appreciated!

FANTINE1 Sun 08-May-16 10:13:49

I think that you will be shocked at how junior tennis is administered in this country.
If you are not one of the "chosen ones", I am afraid that training in Winter often takes part outdoors, despite the weather.
Costs are high I am afraid. Also, we have a really intelligent system whereby very young children who show promise are given money, kit, rackets etc. This is great at the time, but unfortunately these players do not often turn out to be the better ones at 16+. Unfortunately what has happened by then is that the late developers have largely dropped out due to disillusionment with the system. This is a particular problem in girls' tennis.
I speak from experience. There is much wrong with the British Tennis system.

Farahilda Sun 08-May-16 10:24:59

I have to agree with the above. My (pretty good, consistently, now preteen) DD missed out on some high level coaching because she was 7 not 6 when spotted. It's insanity.

That said, there are lots of tennis clubs in London and I'm pretty sure you'll find one you like wherever you go. If they're really keen, check the journey to Roehampton for the National Tennis Centre. I'm not sure how their coaching runs, but DD has played there for a few tournaments and I guess the good players who were spotted at the right age may be attending invitation sessions.

FANTINE1 Sun 08-May-16 11:10:29

Farahilda,
You are correct. It is absolute insanity.
My D is now 20, and plays for her university. She was pretty good in her day, but was never going to win Wimbledon. None of them are!! She attended a high performance centre for a few years, before being dumped out of the system for reasons that are too complex to go in to here. Unfortunately, this combined with a back injury sent her into some thing of a decline, and she gave up playing competitively. This is the story across British tennis, especially amongst the girls. They insist on narrowing the pyramid of talent as the girls get older through a crazy system of funding etc.
However, I would say that if you are based in London, you probably stand a better chance than most.
Sorry to sound so cynical, but I could go on for ever

nikidi Sun 08-May-16 11:26:18

Oh dear that's not good news at all..

We just wanted get some good training for them !
So in less ur in the top ranks Their seem to be not much hope for quality training or trading squads? Or indoor training!

If in London what's the best areas to look into?

Farahilda Sun 08-May-16 11:51:10

There are tennis clubs all across London, DD has been to three different ones and all have been fine (mix of regular and invitation/performance classes, and school holiday tennis camps) we haven't gone down the private coaching route as it's not her main sport and she only rarely competes these days. Finding a private coach is usually word of mouth.

Wherever you move to in London, there will be a competent club in reach (Google tennis club + area, or try the council website as some boroughs publish a list of all sports clubs based on their patch).

And of course you can always swop to a different club after a term or so if you don't get on with it. There really are lots to choose from. Children who play year-round usually get priority booking for the summer term (when the number shoot up) and it's usually easy to find places in September and January.

For indoor classes I suggest you check the indoor facilities of local leisure centres (both council-run and private). If they have courts, the classes will exist.

nikidi Sun 08-May-16 12:10:12

Thnx so much for the info! Much appreciated 😊

Witchend Tue 10-May-16 14:54:25

Interesting, I grew up playing and many of the "wonders" at 10yo were nowhere at 18yo. They really couldn't cope with not being amazing and gave up when they started finding newcomers beating them.

Certainly round here they're strict on the age bands for which colour ball you use, so your 6yo would stay on red ball, your 8yo might be red or orange depending on when they're 9yo.
If you're aged 8 or younger you play with red ball, only moving up to the next colour (orange) when you are nearly 9yo.

I'd imagine if you're relocating you can apply to join an elite squad. However it may depend on them having space, and some sort of trial.

Good luck.

nikidi Tue 10-May-16 15:16:28

Oh wow. Didn't realise that. She moved up to green a good 6-8 months back and used to full court play. Won't be easy to adjust back..

Farahilda Tue 10-May-16 16:51:58

She won't be allowed to play 'up' in LTA tournaments unless she's has enough wins to qualify to do so. But it's not uncommon to find mixed colour mini-tennis classes (red/orange or orange/green) so not something to be concerned about (yet, and possibly not at all).

Witchend Thu 12-May-16 14:54:22

She may be able to adjust fine. I play, and always have done, with ds (he started at age 5yo and is now 8yo) with normal balls and a full court (I play in trams to even it out). He doesn't find it a major issue going back to the sponge puddings children's balls once he's knocked up.

Ds' friend who is Orange 1* seems to get on pretty well at present, but he does play in tournaments all over the country.

Micah Thu 12-May-16 15:05:20

*Also, we have a really intelligent system whereby very young children who show promise are given money, kit, rackets etc. This is great at the time, but unfortunately these players do not often turn out to be the better ones at 16+. Unfortunately what has happened by then is that the late developers have largely dropped out due to disillusionment with the system. This is a particular problem in girls' tennis.
I speak from experience.*

It's not just tennis. Same in the sport DD is in. Also the same in gymnastics.

SignedUpAgain Thu 19-May-16 12:25:18

Have to agree with everyones comments already here. My DD also a good player, but wrong age apparently. WTF!
She is 12 with a "bad birthday" - honestly they couldn't be less encouraging if they tried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now