Talk

Advanced search

high merit

(6 Posts)
nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 25-Apr-16 13:04:32

bit of a random question but out of curiosity at what point do people describe a merit in an exam as a "high merit". I don't remember them ever being called that when I was a child and it doesn't seem to be an actual set amount. I have heard people call them that for dancing and drama exams with a mix of exam boards so I am assuming it is if the mark is say 5marks off the next boundary? or if merit covers 20 marks then is it in the top half of the merit boundary?

just interested - thanks

dodobookends Mon 25-Apr-16 18:00:05

If it is RAD grades you're thinking of, where a Merit is 55-74 and Distinction 75+, then maybe a high merit would be 70-74?

For the Advanced vocational grades then maybe 65+ ish since they're so ridiculously hard now.

Why are you asking? (You can PM me if you'd prefer!)

Musicmom1 Mon 25-Apr-16 18:13:58

Does t exist in absrm music but personally I would see it as being 128 or 129

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 25-Apr-16 21:46:14

my daughter is wondering if she can describe one of her results as a high merit - I said yes because it is within 5 marks of distinction but was curious how others would see it as it doesn't really exist.

thank you.

dodobookends Tue 26-Apr-16 09:41:09

I'd say yes as well if this is for dance, although it isn't 'official' the term is well-known and used quite a lot.

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 26-Apr-16 13:58:12

ah ok - thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now