Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend a violin string?

(5 Posts)
Emochild Tue 22-Mar-16 20:38:31

Dd changed violin teacher about 3 months ago

Old teacher used to deal with violin maintenance -new strings etc

New teacher says E string needs replacing and has asked me to get one -I know there is a big difference in quality so can anyone recommend a specific brand?

Can't ask the teacher, lessons are arranged through school and dd didn't think to ask

AwakeCantSleep Wed 23-Mar-16 10:01:57

Pirastro Oliv are my favourite (as an amateur). I have always preferred gut strings to synthetic ones or steel.

If you are happy with the make of strings you've got, you take it off and take into a shop to buy a replacement.

claraschu Wed 23-Mar-16 10:11:45

Olivs are the most expensive strings. The lower strings go out of tune much more often than synthetic strings (because they are made of gut, covered with a winding, so are more stretchy) and would cause problems for most children and students who aren't very advanced. The extra beauty of their sound will be lost on most people. Oliv Es can be a bit temperamental and not very long lasting. I love Olivs too, but wouldn't recommend them for someone who has never dealt with instrument maintenance on their own before.

E strings are pretty cheap, so I would buy a slightly better quality one, like a Dominant, Jargar, Obligato.

Noteventhebestdrummer Sat 26-Mar-16 20:32:39

I like Dominants. Good gutsy tone !

colleysmill Mon 04-Apr-16 07:35:54

I've just switched to pirastro tonica from dominants on the advice of a luthier having had some maintainance work done. We did try the more expensive pirastra strings but the violin didn't like them and the sound quality dropped dramatically.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now