How many sessions did it take your child to learn breaststroke kick?

(9 Posts)
pomegranate1975 Fri 11-Mar-16 00:01:26

How many session to learn breaststroke kick for a 7-year-old child?My son has done 19 group sessions of breaststroke.He is on stingray level. Just wondering how many more to go? It's costing a lot and wondering if it will go up to 50 or more sessions to learn breaststroke?Is this normal to have this many sessions and not move up a level? How many sessions did it take your child to learn breaststroke kick?

G1raffe Fri 11-Mar-16 00:12:57

My 7 year old still hasn't quite grasped it in that she can swim lengths of "breaststroke" but when she comes up for air she seems to doggy paddle for a bit before continuing. I'm hoping she has it sorted in the next few months.

She's been swimming a few years and has brilliant front crawl and backstroke though. I've never heard of a place just teaching one stroke for weeks on end, instead they've gradually built it up over the classes, sometimes focusing on legs or arms or a different stroke.

I'm so not an expert though so curious to hear other answers.

Lindor Fri 11-Mar-16 00:15:56

we had this. he got stuck in a group forever. Turned out he had knee and hip issues which made it impossible for him to achieve what the instructors wanted. We gave up on lessons and he just swam for pleasure. As long as they can swim, style doesn't matter

pomegranate1975 Fri 11-Mar-16 00:17:16

He is on the stingray level, which is learn breaststroke kick. In the half hour lesson they do revision of freestyle, backstroke, and breastroke kick.

BackforGood Fri 11-Mar-16 00:19:35

Like G1raffe, I can't quite understand why anyone would just be working on the kick of one stroke. Mine all learnt the first 3 strokes together - maybe one week concentrating more on one than another but not just pounding away at the same thing. They learned all sorts of things like floating and jumping in and diving in, and picking things up from the bottom and just general water confidence games as well. How incredibly boring to be doing some kind of 'drill' on one part of one stroke for weeks on end. hmm

So it's impossible to say how long it took. Also, most learners will 'get it' to some degree, then hone and improve gradually over time, so it depends what you mean by 'learn it'.

G1raffe Fri 11-Mar-16 00:22:44

Yup same here back! I can't imagine it suddenly being introduced after they've learnt to swim and then being all they've focused on.

Most schools follow asa or sta here and I can't find a stingray level so it must be something else. (curious now!)

pomegranate1975 Fri 11-Mar-16 00:29:21

I am in australia.He is on the stingray level, which is learn breaststroke kick. In the half hour lesson they do revision of freestyle, backstroke, and breastroke kick.

G1raffe Fri 11-Mar-16 00:57:28

Ah that explains it. I suspect it's taught quote differently to over here then. Do you know how long children are usually in the level for? Have you seen others go through it or what age the kids are in the next group up? If they're particularly struggling can you do a few 1-1 lessons?

ReallyTired Fri 11-Mar-16 01:46:45

I have no idea what stingray level means. Children vary how fast they learn to swim. Practice makes perfect.

To learn how the legs move it helped both my children to practice out of the water at home. You can sit on a chair and practice the leg movements. My children found it helped them to say "penguin, diamond, crocodile, snap"
The penguin bit is when the feet are out turned. They then bend their knees forming a diamond shape. The legs then form a v (crocodile) and then close. (Snap) There are lots of YouTube videos for breaststroke beginners.

Both my children mastered breastroke kick quite quickly. Getting breastroke to ASA standards takes a lot longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now