Talk

Advanced search

Talent Competitions

(13 Posts)
IloveAntbuthateDec Wed 09-Mar-16 00:44:39

Does anyone else think all local talent Competitions are fixed? I'm not talking about TV talent comps like X factor, BGT and the Voice. We all know they are fixed. I'm thinking about local talent competitions where the competitors with brilliant voices seem to never make it to final but kids (Who are anything but brilliant) always seem to make final - maybe because there is always an agenda by the competition organisers like selling vocal lessons or suddenly creating groups for "Those who would like to make it in the music industry" -Only £10 for two hours tuition in how to make it, weekly. But you have to pay a terms fees upfront and give a terms notice if you want to quit.

dodobookends Wed 09-Mar-16 11:00:58

Whether or not a person has a good voice is naturally very subjective, and someone who appears to the uninitiated to be brilliant, might actually be technically weak or lacking in natural vocal ability, stage presence or whatever. The judges might be looking for raw unpolished talent, and this wouldn't necessarily be recognised by an untrained general audience member.

Icouldbeknitting Wed 09-Mar-16 15:27:03

No, I can't say that I recognise that in ours. The organisers are trying to raise a bit of money for a local charity and don't appear to have any other agenda.

IloveAntbuthateDec Sat 12-Mar-16 00:37:19

I am all for raising money for charity. I have just discovered the "real" reason for our latest "Talent competition" finalists. The "winner" got the much coveted prize of a singing lesson from the competition organiser! The caveat to accepting the "prize" was that the "winner" continues with the singing lessons at a cost to themselves - and then they "Could go on to further their career!" Well there we go........Fixed then!

dodobookends Sat 12-Mar-16 11:46:36

Perhaps the next time it might be worth looking at who is organising the contest before entering. Some of them are actually auditions for their performing arts training courses.

These opportunities should be taken with a pinch of salt and not taken too seriously. As long as you think of talent competitions as a chance to perform in public and a fun day out, then it doesn't really matter does it?

IloveAntbuthateDec Sat 12-Mar-16 20:27:00

If it was a one day chance to perform in public it would have been great experience. This particular "competition" has run for 16 weeks costing me a bloody fortune for entrance fees for my nephew and son plus ticket costs every week to go and watch them. They seemed like a really good competition to start off with and things seemed to become more and more obvious. When the winner was announced you could have heard a pin drop! Oh well we will know next time - as will everyone else

dodobookends Sat 12-Mar-16 21:25:27

A 16-week competition? Good grief!

IloveAntbuthateDec Sun 13-Mar-16 02:02:04

www.facebook.com/groups/945480222134091/?fref=ts Yes its not unheard of in my area

dodobookends Sun 13-Mar-16 19:37:04

Is it only on FB then, no website or anything?

Usually talent competitions are one-off and organised by a holiday park, local council or theatre, or they are affiliated to a much larger organisation with regional heats and national finals (or an agency for film/tv/west End etc and are an audition to get on their books).

IloveAntbuthateDec Tue 15-Mar-16 23:40:35

www.pikore.com/votvtalentsearchwales

They have a website, How much more info do you need? Talent competitions are not only held at holiday parks ffs!

dodobookends Wed 16-Mar-16 00:33:38

There's no need to be so rude. I Googled for it and it didn't come up. If you have an issue with them, fair enough, but don't have a go at me.

IloveAntbuthateDec Wed 16-Mar-16 01:14:54

Urmm Dodo, You said there was no website for the competition I originally mentioned. I have no idea why you think talent competions only exist holiday camps? I posted a link to the competition and you say I'm rude? Why exactly??

dodobookends Wed 16-Mar-16 10:06:53

I didn't say that talent competitions only exist on holiday camps. As well as those, I mentioned local council or theatre, or they are affiliated to a much larger organisation with regional heats and national finals (or an agency for film/tv/west end etc and are an audition to get on their books)

Your second link is their Instagram account. With things like this you need to find out as much as you can about the organisation, the staff etc and read the small print about the terms and conditions/rules etc. That is why I was looking for their website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now