Talk

Advanced search

You know you've raised a little music geek when...

(5 Posts)
Helenluvsrob Fri 26-Feb-16 23:28:02

Not only does she spend half term singing for the ballet or a midsummer nights dream. But when you are discussing it after you attend the last night she says " yes it is lovely music, I spent the time trying to remember exactly which theme was for each character " smile

It was a fab performance, gosh isn't puck umm well worth watching !

But who knew pointe shoes on fairies could be so percussive on a wooden stage? I thought pointe made you ethereal and elegant? 16 fairies looked amazingly magical dancing around but the noise rather anchored them in this earthly realm !

Icouldbeknitting Sat 27-Feb-16 07:54:15

I was similarly disenchanted when I went to see a matinee of Swan Lake while I was at university. All those swans drumming on the stage - who knew? It shows the difference between a live performance and a recording though.

NewLife4Me Mon 29-Feb-16 17:06:31

helen
They always advise to sit further back in the stalls of the theatre for this reason.
Many think it's the crick neck syndrome but it's actually the clod hopping pointes on the stage.

mine spent half term learning modes, scales, harmony and playing songs by ear. Then she learned 2 new arias with accompaniment for her teacher to hear tomorrow. She did have a bit of break though and went out with her brothers.

Balletgirlmum Mon 29-Feb-16 23:11:22

Pointe shoes are definately not ethereal. Us ballet mums have conversations on online forums about the level of noise from different brands & whether you can treat them.

Balletgirlmum Mon 29-Feb-16 23:16:44

And the absolute killer is they cost £60-90 per pair & last about 6 weeks.

A professional dancer dancing every night might get through a pair every performance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now