Is this a reasonable amount of information to ask from a prospective tutor

(41 Posts)
twofalls Wed 24-Feb-16 17:02:39

DH is a guitar teacher and professional musician.

Today he has been asked by a potential student's mother for his DRB check, grade certificiates, references, influences, musical background, and links to him playing live.

He was a bit [hmm about being asked for so much for an initial 30 minute lesson for a beginner but gave all the information requested.

The mother then emailed back and said the video clips of him playing live didn't contain enough guitar solos so could her child come for 30 minutes sometime this week (she wouldn't be paying for the time) for DH to play live for him. She was going to do that with 3 teachers and her son was going to choose who he preferred.

The child is 9 and a complete beginner.

DH said, sorry but I am not prepared to do that. I think he has had a lucky escape to be honest but would does anyone else thing thats reasonable?

Primaryteach87 Wed 24-Feb-16 17:04:44

I think the DBS, certificates and reference are valid questions. But asking him to perform a mini concert for free is ridiculous!!

twofalls Wed 24-Feb-16 17:12:51

Meant to say, totally get the DBS, grades and references, although so many people in our town know him he doesn't get asked very often.

JennyOnAPlate Wed 24-Feb-16 17:38:34

Very lucky escape I should think!

DBS check and references are fair enough but the rest of it I am very hmm about!

dodobookends Wed 24-Feb-16 17:40:09

My dh is a guitar teacher and he would be shock at this! Rather precious and OTT for a beginner.

Primaryteach87 Wed 24-Feb-16 18:11:37

Also tell you DP that he has dodged a bullet. I once had a parent demand loads and loads...needless to say they were also ones whose cheques bounced!! Laugh and move on :-)

ZenNudist Wed 24-Feb-16 18:18:32

Your dh needs to cultivate a reputation as worth getting in with so he doesn't need to audition.

She sounds mental.

twofalls Wed 24-Feb-16 18:20:49

Zenbuddist he is fully booked with a waiting list. His band is one of the best in the area. I think his reputation is sound. smile

twofalls Wed 24-Feb-16 18:21:23

Sorry posted to soon

I agree he has probably had a lucky escape!

absolutelynotfabulous Wed 24-Feb-16 18:24:32

She sounds bonkers! Yes, I agree dh has had a lucky escape. Just wondering: does he have a webpage? If not, perhaps he could build one containing samples of his work, testimonials, etc. That's plenty imho.

On the point of DBS certificates, if he's self-employed he's not obliged to have one (last time I looked into it anyway).

areyoubeingserviced Wed 24-Feb-16 18:24:46

Defo lucky escape.
Potentially a very difficult client

notagiraffe Wed 24-Feb-16 18:28:44

Has your DH seen the YouTube music tutor and mad parent animations 'Felicity is Very Talented'? She sounds like the mother on that.

NewLife4Me Wed 24-Feb-16 18:32:12

If your dh doesn't need the money tell her to take a jump.
If he needs the money be prepared for mum to bring grade one book with her.
tell her you have a waiting list and audition for places on the list and you charge for the audition.
Cheeky cow.

Are you familiar with the ABRSM forum, because if you put this on there the teachers would have a field day. grin

ArtyBat Wed 24-Feb-16 18:45:00

Totally not reasonable. Safety checks, grades, references, recommendations by other students are all relevant.
Personal concerts are not.

Choosing a tutor on how his music sounds - no matter how fantastic it is - is not an intimation of how well he teaches.....that's what the references and recommendations are for.

If they can't accept the R&R's, then it's quite probable they won't accept anything you teach the child either, and will probably end up telling your DH that HE is 'doing it wrong'.

He's had a very lucky escape indeed. speaks from bitter experience

Mistigri Wed 24-Feb-16 18:58:07

Good grief :-/

Sounds like your OH just had a very lucky escape.

I love the idea of telling her that her son needs to audition grin. Actually that would be quite common here, the best music schools (conservatoires) do aptitude tests even for complete beginners, and DD has had to audition for a very heavily booked guitar teacher in the past.

VimFuego101 Wed 24-Feb-16 19:08:24

grin at the live concert for free! I'm going to email cake makers in my area and ask them to put on a free buffet for me now so that I can try out their services.

I agree with a PP, sounds like a nightmare parent and he has had a lucky escape!

Icouldbeknitting Wed 24-Feb-16 19:34:27

It's not reasonable at all and it sounds as if this is a pupil that he could do without. I doubt that a relationship that starts like this is going to get any more normal over time. If she comes back and your husband is prepared to take it on then I'd suggest that he starts with double his normal rates because it's going to be hard work.

Over the years we've engaged two brass teachers, a flute teacher, a piano teacher and a theory teacher and all we've ever done is chat to someone we know who's already having lessons or have a trial lesson.

twofalls Wed 24-Feb-16 19:35:17

Will check out the forum and YouTube video. Dh could do with a laugh. And love the idea of an audition. grin

DH does have a website with all the info you would expect - methods, testimonials, background, links to him playing etc. He has a DBS because he worked in schools for a while - not sure you can even get one as a self employed person these days.

I think she would have been a total nightmare - he has had some classics over the years but this is a first in nearly 15 years!

twofalls Wed 24-Feb-16 19:37:47

I might do that too Vim. I need a cake baking!

To be fair most people are lovely - come via a recommendation, realise there will be little improvement without practice, don't expect dh to turn water into wine etc but some parents are far too precious.

NewLife4Me Wed 24-Feb-16 20:09:20

Ah, OP there are some very funny computer animated parents of children having music lessons doing the rounds.
For anyone who teaches they are absolutely hysterical.
My dh has shown me some but no idea where they are from, i'll see if I can find some, your dh will love them.

NewLife4Me Wed 24-Feb-16 20:12:12

Found them here, do please show him if he isn't familiar with them, they really make me laugh after hearing so much of this over the years.
www.youtube.com/results?search_query=music+lesson+parents

NewLife4Me Wed 24-Feb-16 20:14:09

I think I got that link wrong grin
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDF3CHqqb-4

twofalls Wed 24-Feb-16 20:39:53

Brilliant. Thank you newlife. Will show it to DH when he finishes. Love it all but especially "last week it took her 10 minutes to open her case"!

traviata Wed 24-Feb-16 20:43:47

Link for the Felicity animation smile

traviata Wed 24-Feb-16 20:49:10

woops x post! serves me right for spending too long watching it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now