Talk

Advanced search

3 1/2 years of swimming lessons!!!

(18 Posts)
justalittlelemondrizzle Fri 29-Jan-16 21:04:22

Where do I start.... My DD's started swimming lessons age 3 and 4 at the local pool. We went there for a year where they made zero progress. We moved them to a private club for a further 2 years where they seemed to progress. Moving to stage 4 which I was happy with. The swimming club closed and we Have just started at a new club a few weeks ago. At the first lesson I was told they shouldnt be in stage 4 and need to be in stage 2!! So I have spent what feels like weeks of my life and what must be thousands of pounds and they have moved up 1 whole stage!! I could cry... it seems the ild club have been artificially progressing them so I would keep forking out. I am livid! I struggled to find the money to pay the fees in the first place.
So after a few lessons at the new club where I can actually watch the lessons I can see they are being shown and they just cannot move their bodies correctly. My youngest is now getting better than my eldest who I suspect may have mild dyspraxia.
I have had enough!!!
Today I let thek swim after their lesson and one of the teachers spent half an hour of her own time helping dd1 it was amazing to watch. This may be just what she needs. So I have asked about 2-2-1 lessons with this lovely lady for both my daughters at a cost of £300 for 10 weeks. Works out at £15 each for half an hour just them and teacher. Does anyone have any experience of these lessons. Please give me some hope this will finally work.

nonicknameseemsavailable Fri 29-Jan-16 21:51:00

we had 1 teacher to both our daughters - ours was £21 for the half hour for both girls (a 1 to 1 lesson was £20, 1 to 2 was £21). They both did very well, one ended up more confident than the other. They had about 18 lessons and got their 15 metre badges. we stopped then because they had learned to tread water and basic swimming on front and back as well as floating and it was costing us too much plus hard to fit it in round their other activities etc. we never tried group lessons but were very pleased with the 2 to 1 teaching.

justalittlelemondrizzle Fri 29-Jan-16 22:00:28

Both dd's have their 15 and 20m badges. Or atleast we were given them. I am so angry at the old club for lying to me. They can doggy paddle. I am so angry. I now have to find all this money so they can catch up. All i want is for them to swim confidently.
This is our last shot. I have decided to give it 2 x 10 week terms in 2-2-1 and then we are giving up swimming regardless of how they swim. I refuse to continue after 4 years. There comes a point where you have to give up. I really hope this works. I am a strong swimmer and love it and I want them to enjoy it too. Im now worried that the last 2 years of doggy paddling cant be undone

parrotonmyshoulder Fri 29-Jan-16 22:06:54

My daughter had 1:1 for £9 per half hour in a pool that was in a holiday park/ private gym. Maybe worth looking around as yours sounds expensive.

Hydropools in special schools are often hired out for 1:1 lessons too - you could look at these.

justalittlelemondrizzle Fri 29-Jan-16 22:57:08

That seems to be the going rate round here. Even the council run 1:1s are £15 each. But theyre in blocks of 3 dont sound quite as scary as our 10 week block

HSMMaCM Sat 30-Jan-16 11:56:46

DD is not a natural swimmer and made slow progress. Try not to be concerned about how fast they progress and focus on the fact they are learning a life saving skill. Dd did have a couple of terms of 1:1 lessons which really helped with her confidence and then just carried on with normal lessons. She had her lessons at our local pool where I could watch from the viewing area.

thenightsky Sat 30-Jan-16 12:01:12

Two years and still doing doggie paddle? Wow, no wonder you feel ripped off by the previous class! shock

DD was a natural swimmer luckily and progressed quickly through the levels. Poor DS took a year to get his feet off the bottom.

Ferguson Sat 30-Jan-16 19:57:58

WHY ON EARTH DO PARENTS WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT YOUNG CHILDREN LEARNING TO SWIM??!!

Wait until they are 8 or 9 and learn at school for virtually nothing!

starry0ne Sat 30-Jan-16 20:26:24

Mainly because it is a lifesaving skill...It was the one thing that was compulsory for my DS

My DS has had various lessons the local pool were the worst.. He went to a private pool and made rapid progress... now outgrown size of pool so now looking for someway to finish his badges .... I think you have to regulary re assess each child

QueenofLouisiana Mon 01-Feb-16 22:30:18

This explains the 50% of my yr5 class who can't swim 5m without a float. So I have 14 kids who are supposed to get to 25m by Easter....it's going to work well!

I paid £22 per half hour in a private pool, that was for technique and diving lessons for competitive swimming rather than beginning swimming, but I think the costs were the same.
DS learned lots in these sessions, I'm glad we paid for them.

howabout Tue 02-Feb-16 10:09:52

Wait until they are 8 or 9 and learn at school for virtually nothing!

That is the approach I took and it worked fine.

Op like you I am a strong swimmer and so I just took mine to the pool myself. I made sure they are all not afraid in the water, can float and can tread water. Then they got the full benefit of the free school lessons when the time came.

That said I do know a few people who have used a block of 2:1 lessons after struggling with a group and found it worked much better.

MN is a funny old place. You can't leave your 4 year old in the bath for 2 seconds but teaching them to swim at that age will be lifesaving. confused

Micah Tue 02-Feb-16 10:18:07

This is why most swimming clubs don't take them till 5, and even then the first year is about confidence, streamlining, learning to move in the water.

Before 5 kids don't have the proportions to learn proper strokes- big heads, short arms and legs.

You're better just taking them once a week and letting them mess around, get confident, play underwater, and learn their own bouyancy (no armbands/suits etc). Then when you do start lessons they'll pick the strokes up quickly. Paying for "lessons" under 5 is a waste.

ClaudiaWankleman Tue 02-Feb-16 10:19:04

Have you tried taking them swimming and showing them how to do it? It might make things a lot faster at least. I learnt from a very young age (could swim as a toddler) and I really can't imagine leaving it until your DC are 8 to learn. You'd be worried sick during any family holidays!

Things to remember if you do teach them are hip positioning, breathing patterns and that they learn how to tread water.

soontobemrsmckeown Sun 07-Feb-16 09:52:15

My dd just gone 4 has had three terms at swimming. Shes now moving up to stage 1 has completed all the duckling stages. This is with 30 mins a week. Before lesson she hated water, the bath, the shower now she loves it and is swimming with a woggle. She is trying to swim with out at times she can manage to for a few seconds. She can star on her back for over a minute.

fastingmum123 Sun 07-Feb-16 09:59:25

Please don't fret to much my dd has been doing swimming since she was 3 for a very long time she never seemed to progress at all which was very frustrating. Then at about the age of 5/6 she got it. She's now 11 and in a class of 13-15yr olds and one level off completing them all. We have only carried on with the lessons for her as she loves it so much.

shef88 Thu 18-Feb-16 06:18:08

hi I was wondering if you mummies would consider writing reviews for swim schools you've used on www.encyclokidia.com. It's got a big list of schools and it'd be nice for other parents to be able to have access to your experiences for many years to come. (disclosure: I work there, but I also have a 3-year old who inspired me to build it) Like op I struggled to find the right school, but now after 2.5 yrs my daughter and the other kids in her class are starting to do some independent swimming. we've only done group lessons.

Candycoco Thu 18-Feb-16 06:50:49

The swimming lessons at school are absolutely pointless. By the time they get changed they get about 15 minutes in the pool and then have to get out again. With 30 kids in there, no one is learning to swim.

My dd learnt to swim after school from reception to year 3, so took about 4 years to progress through. There's no way I would have left it til year 5 when they get 6 lessons at 15 minutes each! Ridiculous

Keeptrudging Thu 18-Feb-16 06:59:11

My DD went from non-swimmer to swimming confidently in 3 months with private lessons at 11. I then put her into group lessons at the local pool, where she's gone from level 2 to 5 in 2 terms.

She had bad eczema when she was younger and her skin didn't tolerate chlorine, no matter which creams we used before/after, hence the delay in learning. 1-to-1 was £25/half hour, but worth every penny as it got her loving swimming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now