Talk

Advanced search

Clarinet or Violin?

(11 Posts)
Luna9 Mon 14-Dec-15 09:46:04

My dd is 8; she has been learning the violin at school for a year; I don't know anything about music and feel I should have advised her better when she was choosing the instrument at school. I feel the violin may be more useful. I would appreciate any advice? Thank you

1805 Mon 14-Dec-15 18:06:24

What does dd want to play?

LittlePixieMa Mon 14-Dec-15 18:35:56

Neither are more useful. Both are adaptable to different music genres. Go with what she enjoys, then she'll be more likely to continue to play

se22mother Mon 14-Dec-15 21:15:28

My dd plays and loves both. Very different instruments both very pleasurable for my child to play

Luna9 Mon 14-Dec-15 22:14:50

Thank you; posted also in primary education and found out that learning the violin takes lots of practice and patient which she does not have; we will stick to clarinet; she does not mind which one she does

LittlePixieMa Tue 15-Dec-15 10:28:13

Luna, the other great thing about the clarinet is that it's an easy transition to play the sax, often the sax is a cooler instrument to play later on!

woolleybear Wed 16-Dec-15 18:47:42

I would say that the clarinet also takes practice and patience. My daughter started clarinet just over a year ago and practice has meant she has progressed well, surely the same can be said for all instruments?

Musicmom1 Wed 16-Dec-15 21:09:42

Woolley - I agree. DD started it two years ago and flew along as they do with a second instrument. Then she hit the point where she needed to practice 'properly'!

Clarinet is versatile - DD can play in all the school groups bar one, and also plays jazz sax.

iMatter Wed 16-Dec-15 21:22:10

My DC played the violin (and they still play the piano), They both passed grade 1 in Y3. I played the clarinet and found it awful and didn't pass a single exam. Entirely anecdotal but hey...

Noteventhebestdrummer Wed 16-Dec-15 22:08:40

The one that sounds nicest?

woolleybear Thu 17-Dec-15 09:48:15

The clarinet is a first instrument for dd, though she is currently pestering for a second. She passed her grade 1 and is currently working towards grade 2. We practice quite a lot, because I want her to get into good habits rather than total necessity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now