Talk

Advanced search

Open Audition for Fantastic Beasts

(12 Posts)
smellylittleorange Fri 17-Jul-15 16:26:46

DD just 11 wants to do this tomorrow but the call says we should be free between August and January - we are going on holiday to Santorini in August - How much will it be a waste of time to get up there and do it... please be honest!

She is scared about the process and competition anyway but loves her afterschool Drama club etc et

smellylittleorange Fri 17-Jul-15 16:27:37

Oh and has swimming date booked with friends too - which she organised and will have to cancel confused never done anything like this before

dodobookends Fri 17-Jul-15 19:39:00

When they say be free between August and January, what they actually mean is that normal life will resume in February. All else is secondary, and total commitment is needed.

Having said that, why not let her go to the audition anyway, as it will be a great experience, but be prepared for a crowd!

smellylittleorange Sat 18-Jul-15 17:56:10

Thanks Dodo we did not go because of our commitments in August also because DD has never done anything like it before - she doesn't go to local Theatre group becuase she HATES the idea of rehearsals over the xmas period etc etc . She is joininng a Performing Arts Secondary school for September so there will be plenty of opportunities to try out there stuff that may have extra commitment. Maybe next year we will look out for something once she has settled down and just go along for the experience. I would love to hear from anyone who did go though!

LIZS Sat 18-Jul-15 18:04:46

Looks like a publicity gimmick tbh. Short notice for both the audition and the work commitment. No preassessment either.

smellylittleorange Sat 18-Jul-15 18:21:11

I did wonder LIZS and DD informed that the part of "Melody" was not in the book. There have been previous open audition parts held for the Harry Potter films so I gues not unfathomable but you can bet they will probably be going through agenciesor whatever as well. They do not need to publicise the film for the likes of me and my DD though the minute the tickets are released we will be purchasing!

dodobookends Sat 18-Jul-15 22:09:19

Judging by a post from someone who attended (another thread on AIBU), there were about 10,000 hopefuls turned up. Crikey.

hottiebottie Sun 19-Jul-15 20:46:38

We were there yesterday. The final total was around 14,000. shock DH is abroad at the moment and I texted to say I was at a Harry Potter casting call but didn't specify it was for DD. He immediately replied asking if I was going for the part of Hagrid's mum. hmm grin

beardhorse Tue 21-Jul-15 09:48:06

My wife took DD to casting call on Saturday. They queued from 9.00am and were seen at around 4pm. They discretely filtered out about 150 girls during the day - including one from their group which was quite exciting. On one level the audition process was brutal - they went in in groups of 10 to have photos taken, be asked a couple of questions and that was it. They took one child away from about every 20 groups to another area within Excel and we found out later from the people we met that this was to make an audition tape.

Despite being unsuccessful, it was actually a very positive experience - professionally done and everyone got a certificate. Mum and DD met some really nice people and there was a real camaraderie about the day. Unfortunately it hasn't put DD wanting to do other castings.....

Heels99 Tue 21-Jul-15 16:48:57

They have been auditioning girls via agencies. The open call was a bit of a publicity stunt really.

beardhorse Wed 22-Jul-15 08:17:52

They have. Found out yesterday that the part is likely to go to a girl who played Matilda in the West End, so an established child actor. She has a call back today apparently.

dodobookends Wed 22-Jul-15 13:01:57

The will probably have had a very specific 'look' in mind for the role, which is why they will have held an open audition as well as seeing girls from agencies. You never know who will walk in the door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now