Talk

Advanced search

Rugby Boots

(19 Posts)
balletgirlmum Wed 01-Jul-15 10:57:08

Anyone have any idea where I can get Rugby boots in size 1 for ds. He has very narrow feet.

Sports Direct do some in a 1 but they don't have kite marked studs.

I don't want to pay much as ds hates rugby but has to do it at secondary school.

Seeline Wed 01-Jul-15 11:02:32

Would football boots do?
My DSs school say they are fine as long as they have the safety studs. If he is only going to be using them for lessons rather than extra training/matches, I would have thought they would be OK and easier to find.

RosesandRugby Wed 01-Jul-15 11:10:02

Football boots would be fine (I coach at my local club and we don't distinguish between the two until under 14's age group ) but if you want a specific rugby boot then try searching for the rugby store online. I buy canterbury branded rugby boots usually but theres a huge range available. They are often cheaper than football boots too.

balletgirlmum Wed 01-Jul-15 11:12:24

His football boots are astro & blades they don't have studs (he uses them out of school as school won't do football & where he plays metal studs arnt allowed.

I thought football boots were different (more dangerous studs)

balletgirlmum Wed 01-Jul-15 11:13:51

He is 11.5 if that makes any difference.

Madamecastafiore Wed 01-Jul-15 11:16:15

DS used to play and we bought football boots with studs from JD Sports or Sports Direct.

BL00CowWonders Wed 01-Jul-15 11:17:20

School uniform shop? Our local independent uniform shop sells v plain rugby boots (which are totally different from football boots, so my football-loving son assures me) smile

balletgirlmum Wed 01-Jul-15 11:19:43

So are football boots kite marked? Sports Direct do a brand of rugby boots called Patrick but they arnt kite marked.

balletgirlmum Wed 01-Jul-15 11:20:43

I don't think any ofvthe school uniform shops round here sell any type of shoes (not that I've been in for years mind)

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Wed 01-Jul-15 11:23:32

decathlon do rugby boots, do you have one nearby, the kipsta ones aren't very expensive. He has small feet, (maybe ds2 just has big feet blush) as hes just outgrown his old pair and I could have sent them on, but they are size 9.

what about these from sports direct? www.sportsdirect.com/patrick-power-x-childrens-rugby-boots-096012?colcode=09601240

the kipsta ones are about £15 as well, but no size 1's in stock onlines. If school complain about the studs, you can buy studs for about £4 from most sports shops maybe even less. when we replaced ds's studs, the local independent sports shop charged 30p per stud.

RosesandRugby Wed 01-Jul-15 11:23:51

The blades should be fine as long as they haven't been worn on tarmac/paths/roads. They can become sharp and then dangerous to other players.

Rugby boots are more like football boots now but come in 6 or 8 stud formations. The basic 6 stud should be fine for schools.

The 8 studs are for the front rows/scrum players for extra grip, they may also be shaped more like a boot being higher up the ankle at the back.

If you have 6 stud football boots they will be fine for schools rugby. smile

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Wed 01-Jul-15 11:25:03

ive just looked at ds2's boots, they are Canterbury ones and they don't have kite marks on the studs! he plays rugby for county and a team and the school team and no one has ever pulled him up about them.

could you email school a link to the boots and ask approval.

prettybird Wed 01-Jul-15 11:27:27

Ds has played rugby since p1. When he started, his shoes size was something like 24shock. I used to buy studded football boots and change to studs over to rugby studs. Football studs are a mix of nylon and and metal which can create dangerous sharp edges and are illegal for rugby.

I do Registration for the Junior Section of ds' rugby club and that's what I recommend to new members.

Ds is now 14 and still only a size 5 - but at least I can now buy "standard" rugby boots grin

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Wed 01-Jul-15 11:28:32

Canterbury ones, www.canterbury.com/boots-c34/1-a342 a lot more expensive though and seems silly just for school.

balletgirlmum Wed 01-Jul-15 11:30:13

The bit about kite marked studs is very specific (looks like it might be a case of having to buy new studs then) didn't reslise you could do that. There is also something about the length of the studs but hsvnt got the letter in front of me.

The Patrick ones are the ones we looked at HelpMe. Yes he has incredibly small feet for his age!

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Wed 01-Jul-15 11:40:53

have you shown the school the Patrick ones? they may approve them for you before buying save you anymore hassle.

im imaging small feet are easier for most things, defintley cheaper. ds2 was 13 in jan and a size 10.5 shoe and 11 rugby boot already. I really hope he has stopped growing now, he is 6ft 2 as well!

balletgirlmum Wed 01-Jul-15 11:48:19

Small feet are a nightmare to be honest.

Dd is 13 & a size 2.5. It was really difficult to get non little girly sparkly trainers for Her. Her school shoes are plain Mary Janes & it took ages to find the right pointe shoes. At her last school she was told off for having Velcro trainers for hockey instead of laced as laces are more supportive.

SoupDragon Wed 01-Jul-15 11:49:59

We have always bought football boots and just switched the studs for rugby ones.

SoupDragon Wed 01-Jul-15 11:57:27

Amazon have packs of kite marked studs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now