How many swimming lessons are enough?

(16 Posts)
Coffeeinthepark Tue 23-Jun-15 20:31:53

My boy (7) has been to swimming lessons for 2 years now. He has his 10 meter badge, can do the 3 main strokes, is comfortable under water and wants to stop the lessons next term.. He doesn't hate the lessons but it isn't his favourite and he sometimes finds it cold.

I'm not sure what to do as don't know what is a sensible marker of "being able to swim". I can take him to a pool from time to time but can't teach him myself.

10 meters doesn't seem very far to me

Binglet Tue 23-Jun-15 20:36:36

As a swimming teacher I always say if a child can swim 25m, they can swim. That's a fair enough distance (normally a length) and this normally means they are strong and confident enough swimmers to get themselves out of trouble if required. But I'm a horrible teacher who won't give out 25m badges unless I have correct front crawl technique

museumum Tue 23-Jun-15 20:37:30

To do lots of water sports like canoeing or sailing it's 50m they need!!

UniS Tue 23-Jun-15 20:37:48

What sort of water activities does he want to do? If he wants to gain his beaver or cub swimmer badges his target is 25 m , if he wants to try Canoeing his target is probadly 50 m. If he wants to go surfing or body boarding....
10m isn't very far.
Could he take a break from classes and go back again in sept or Jan. ?

chocomochi Tue 23-Jun-15 20:40:14

I think he needs to be able to swim 25m confidently before he should stop. Maybe he just needs a bit of a break or just stuck in a rut? Perhaps a water park or just playing will help him enjoy the water?

tumbletumble Tue 23-Jun-15 20:41:23

My DS1 is 9 and has just done his 800m badge - I'd be happy for him to stop now if he wanted to. I wouldn't have let him stop at 7.

Starlightbright1 Tue 23-Jun-15 20:44:47

I have said 50 meters with my DS.. At our local pool you are advised if you want to swim in deep end you must be able to swim 50 meters. Also the inflatable sessions they test if you can do 50 meters..

Do they have some play sessions or slide sessions near by to remind him of the fun.

The NC requires them to be able to swim 25 meters

slippermaiden Tue 23-Jun-15 20:59:43

My two have been swimming for 2 years and have their 100 metre badge! What about stopping for a while and restarting in a year or so. We have stopped for a bit, they are having a weeks intensive course in the holidays as there will be more time.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 23-Jun-15 21:00:07

10m wouldn't be enough for me either I would want him to keep on going until he could do 50m comfortably.

Coffeeinthepark Tue 23-Jun-15 21:05:26

800mshock? Wow!

I've just read the other swimming thread about someone the same age.

I can relate to a lot of it.swimming has never really been his thing and progress seems quite slow to me - yet he is generally sporty and confident. He disliked the water when he was very small and still insists on wearing goggles.

I think it is a very good idea to give him some target ideas - 25 or 50m. As a weak swimmer myself I would love not to need to worry about lessons but hate the thought of him winding up with little kids if we take a break

Bunnyjo Tue 23-Jun-15 22:13:42

DD (7yo) is a very strong swimmer (ASA stage 8) and she wants to do squad swimming.

At present she can swim over 2000m on her back (not tried going any further) and 1000m on her front. She does have a particular aptitude for swimming though and there are only 3 children around her age at the same stage - the rest are aged 10+

I would continue with lessons until he can swim at least 50m.

FWIW, DH and I could barely swim a length of the pool when we were her age!

JulieMichelleRobinson Tue 23-Jun-15 22:16:02

I live on an island so 25m an absolute minimum for safety!

I still insist on wearing goggles despite all the classes, 2,000m, life saving courses, gold award etc. as a kid - except now they're prescription ones so if don't crash!

NoNoNoMYDoIt Tue 23-Jun-15 22:18:01

I feel a bit bad now. I made my 8yr old do his mile badge before I left him stop. His 6 yr old sister has just done her 800m badge but she will be continuing for a while. She wants to anyway.

WhattodowithMum Tue 23-Jun-15 22:23:25

For rowing my DD needs to be able to swim 200m.

I'd want them to be able to swim 100m nonstop and tread water for a minute successfully. Remember, it's much easier to swim in a pool than in a sea or river where they might accidentally fall in.

redcaryellowcar Tue 23-Jun-15 22:24:48

This is a bad time of year to stop, I have a friend who only takes her children to lessons in the summer as it's too chilly in the winter, does he do group lessons? Is there a lot of waiting around getting cold? Might be worth considering doing some private or shared between a couple of children private lessons?
It's a good time of year to visit lidos, beaches etc do he is reminded that it's great fun being able to swim.

diggingforvictory Tue 23-Jun-15 22:25:48

OP, if he is cold I would recommend using a thermal rash vest. I got one for my DS who is skin and bone, and it's made such a difference.

Maybe take him to a "fun" pool with water-slides etc to make it have some purpose?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now