Can someone tell me about first clarinets please

(11 Posts)
lavendersun Sat 20-Jun-15 15:10:51

DD needs a first clarinet (9) after renting one for a bit. I have/always had Howarth Oboes so they would naturally be my first port of call as I have always loved my instrument and had fantastic service from them.

Any opinions on Howarth or anything else I should be considering?

I don't mind what we spend (within reason) tbh as I know that something well regarded will sell for enough when the time comes.

Link to the only ones I have looked at. I know nothing about the different brands out there tbh, only what I have used. I will ask her teacher but don't often see her to chat to as she is teaching someone else when I get there.

www.howarth.uk.com/clarinets.html

Thanks very much.

Wafflenose Sat 20-Jun-15 15:26:01

I'd go for something like a Buffet B12. They're reasonably priced and will last for ages - I had a student get past Grade 6 on one, although ideally I like them to change to a more expensive wooden one some time after Grade 5. John Packer's have much cheaper ones (the JP series) which are fine for beginners, but you'd potentially have to upgrade at least twice if she keeps it up.

Whereabouts do you live?

Musicmom1 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:19:50

Hi Dd has a Yamaha (250?) as her first 'own' clarinet; will get her to G5 and then her teacher has something else in mind. I will check what it is. We did change to a'better' mouthpiece 6months in. We rent her clarinet in A from Howarths.

beatricequimby Sat 20-Jun-15 18:43:19

My son has started with a
Buffet B12 which has been fine. At some point soon he will need to upgrade which will be pricey.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 20-Jun-15 18:48:21

We went to Dawkes in Maidenhead and tried several yamahas and Buffets ( even the same model are not all the same), we ended up with the Buffet for DD's playing was noticeably better sound.

Musicmom1 Sat 20-Jun-15 19:02:08

Just looked t the buffet on line and looks like we have been a bit mean with the Yamaha! Guess that explains why we are heading for an upgrade after only a year.

lavendersun Sat 20-Jun-15 19:03:05

Thanks all, I will have a look at those suggested.

I am near Cambridge but don't like the woodwind supplier in Cambridge. Am happy to travel to London, but only know Howarth and the Early Music Shop.

MehsMum Sat 20-Jun-15 19:17:04

Buffet B12. They have done the DC just fine...

lavendersun Sat 20-Jun-15 19:22:08

I see that Howarth sells them ... so I can stick with my favourite supplier which is great because I like them!

We will arrange to pay them a visit and see what they have to say.

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 22-Jun-15 22:43:51

We have just been through the same process. We narrowed it down quite quickly to a choice between Buffet B12 and Yamaha YCL255S. Both about £400. Both plastic. And both recommended by the three clarinet teachers I know!

We spent nearly an hour at Dawkes in Maidenhead and settled on the Buffet because both DD and I preferred the tone and ... critically ... it came in a cool rucksack-style bag which DD liked very much grin

We will contemplate upgrading to a wooden one when she's beyond Grade 5, if she's still keen. But it's quite a leap in price, so I will reserve judgement on that one.

lavendersun Tue 23-Jun-15 06:14:51

Thanks AChicken, yes we would like ABS, although back in the day when I got my first oboe ABS wasn't an option.

I wasn't much older but was shown how to look after it and knew that my parents would have murdered me if I didn't after they had spent all their hard earned cash on it.

Not sure when we can get to the shop at the minute, hopefully soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now