Talk

Advanced search

Gymnastics or dance for 5 yr old?

(5 Posts)
Faz2015 Tue 16-Jun-15 09:52:07

Hi need some advise Plz... My dd has been doing dance( ballet, disco, and tap) for about 2 yrs and gymnastics for about a year. Starting next year I want to drop one and introduce music/ drama... Not sure which one as my dd loves both! Which one is more beneficial for her?

Thanks!

MomOfTwoGirls2 Tue 16-Jun-15 16:06:32

Which does she like most? And which plays most to her strengths and interests? Does she enjoy competitions, shows, displays, concerts, which of the two hobbies will provide more of these opportunity.

taxi4ballet Wed 17-Jun-15 09:57:51

I agree, which one does she prefer/show an aptitude for? If she is happy doing what she is doing, then there's no rush to introduce anything else yet.

I'm also wondering why you would like her to take up music/drama - she is only 5 so there is plenty of time for her to start another activity when she is a bit older. If you are thinking about her learning an instrument there may be the opportunity for her to do that at school too.

Perhaps the day/time of activities might influence your decision though, especially if you have other dc's activities to consider.

Pandsala Wed 17-Jun-15 15:58:51

If she really loves both I wouldn't make her drop one to take up drama/music, it seems like a very good way to stop her enjoying whichever activity you replace it with to me.

If you are planning to get her to do drama/music though dance probably goes better with it than gymnastics.

MayPolist Sat 20-Jun-15 23:07:23

the thing with ballet is that they can come in at 9 or so and catch up with the girls who have been doing it since they were 2 in less than a year.With gymnastics they will be developing strength,flexibility and coordination which will be transferable to any sport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now