Talk

Advanced search

NCO under 13 orchestra - violin audition pieces

(9 Posts)
maggiethecat Sat 30-May-15 20:55:23

We only have a few weeks left with teacher before summer hols and dd has been asked to consider what pieces she might like to play for audition in October for the U13s.

Seems like a long way off but she won't see teacher over summer and there's only a few weeks to the audition after school starts back.

Suggestion of violin pieces (grade 7/8 standard) would be very helpful. Her strength is in the very expressive lyrical pieces so would be good to find a piece that really shows that, in addition to her other piece.

Musicmom1 Sun 31-May-15 06:53:43

Hi can't help you re violin (although have heard some wonderful Meditations this year) but we too will need to think about audition pieces v soon - looks like auditions are earlier this year, which means ours is likely to be septemberi- so we will possibly only have one lesson of the new term beforehand. Feels a bit wierd to have to think about before we have even done the summer course!

maggiethecat Sun 31-May-15 11:46:05

Musicmom, why do you think they'll be earlier? We normally have ours in the Oct half term and would like to have an idea of how to plan holiday - may have to call them up to enquire.

Musicmom1 Sun 31-May-15 12:06:52

Hi it was in the newsletter this week. - auditions will run from 27 sept to 30 oct; applications open this coming week. Our venue is normally early but I fuss they may change the routing.

maggiethecat Sun 31-May-15 13:21:15

aahh, only looked at newsletter briefly.

Do you have one in current U12 or U13?

Wafflenose Sun 31-May-15 14:58:59

We have two venues a similar distance apart, so can pick the one with the later date. I didn't realise this last year though, just picked the one that was easier to get to, and it was 3 weeks earlier than the other one! I think MiniWaffle has chosen the pieces she wants to learn/play, but we are not expecting her to get back in again. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure she has practised or progressed enough. We've told her to just enjoy every moment this year.

Musicmom1 Mon 01-Jun-15 12:44:34

Maggiecat - no, under 10s this year

Waffle - our venue is in our city near school so I think I will struggle to get the accompanist to travel further a field. Will see. Dd also vaguely thinking about pieces - am going to try to strike a bargain that there has to be one safe piece alongside any 'exciting' one. But i too think that it will be a big step up to under 11s, so am tempering expectations. She has seen people not get in on re-audition so I think she understands it really is a clean sheet each time! Am just hoping purple patches arrive while we still have a few lessons left.

maggiethecat Mon 01-Jun-15 21:02:07

I'ved asked the person responsible for music to consider that some schools break up in June and that we'd like to have the patches to take to teacher.

Don't think that is going to happen. It's a shame because if the children aren't prepared everyone's grumpy - children and tutors.

MomOfTwoGirls2 Tue 02-Jun-15 19:00:39

My DDs are no where near this level...

But in this situation I'd ask teacher if they would consider some additional private lessons over the summer to prep for the audition...

DD2 has arranged a few extra violin lessons with her teacher during summer months, to prep for a violin camp at end August.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now