Advanced search

Drums- am I mad?

(22 Posts)
QueenofLouisiana Fri 02-Jan-15 17:07:54

DS would like to learn drums. He has cornet lessons at school which he doesn't really like and due to problems with his teeth (waiting to see orthodontist) he doesn't find it very comfortable.
So...anyone else with a drumming child? Are electronic drum kits as good as the electronic pianos? We'd prefer this for the 'silent' practice!
Thanks for any advice!

Spadequeen Fri 02-Jan-15 17:10:41

Drums are fab. Dd2 plays them and I'm supposed but am injured so can't.

IMHO, electric aren't as good as the real thing, but as I like my neighbours that's what we've got and they're pretty good. Tough don't be fooled in to thinking it will be silent as you will still here the tapping as you hit them.

BreakingSad Fri 02-Jan-15 17:45:17

Ds(12) loves playing the drums, he changed as he wasn't enjoying the oboe anymore.

He has a full size drum kit with damper pads, but more often than not he plays without and you can hear it throughout the house. No experience with electric drums though.

I don't mind though, as I love listening to him play.

TweeAintMee Fri 02-Jan-15 17:51:36

Drums are fab. Electronic kits are good to start out on but nothing beats the real thing. The great thing is that drums are a good place to start if he is interested in pursuing percussion in brass bands (guessing he may be if he is learning the cornet.) Perhaps you could get a small glockenspiel too?

Ferguson Fri 02-Jan-15 19:22:59

I played drums semi-pro for forty years.

Encourage LISTENING to a wide range of music, and realise drums don't always have to be loud.

There are electronic rhythm programmers on-line, which can be fun if you can sort out how they work; some are better than others.

A QUIET drummer (Connie Kay):

Possibly the slowest jazz tune there is:

And the GREATEST drummer ever:

TweeAintMee Fri 02-Jan-15 19:56:16

Ferguson - wow! Buddy Rich....

LooseAtTheSeams Sun 04-Jan-15 11:38:15

Go for it! Drums are so cool!
Electric kits are fine for learners. We have a Roland and it is essential in a terrace house! You will still be able to hear the bass drum but it won't annoy neighbours.
Ferguson is absolutely right that listening to a lot of music makes a huge difference. DS1 spends a lot of time listening to different drummers as well as practising. However he is also really keen on orchestral percussion so you could also find that the drum kit broadens out into other areas as well. We hired a student glockenspiel from the music centre, I am now on the verge of spending a lot of money on a xylophone.
By the way, loved the Buddy Rich links on youtube!

TweeAintMee Sun 04-Jan-15 16:47:35

LooseAtTheSeams - fyi we got a really great deal on 4 octave xylophone at

LooseAtTheSeams Sun 04-Jan-15 21:07:12

TweeAintMee - thanks so much for the link, there's a discount on the one I was planning to get! flowers

Clobbered Sun 04-Jan-15 21:14:58

I have two drumming offspring, who both play kit and orchestral percussion. It's a bit of a pain with the sheer size of the instruments, but we have very rarely needed to haul them anywhere else. Almost all of the gigs they have played have been with adults who bring all the instruments and they just turn up with a bag of sticks and help out with all the moving of equipment. It's been great for them both as they've been able to play so many different styles of music and it's a very sociable thing to do. Good percussionists are thin on the ground and they get a lot of playing opportunities. Go for it!

Lilymaid Sun 04-Jan-15 21:37:26

DS1 learnt drums at secondary school, also got into DJing and is still drumming 10 years on in an expat cover band in a developing country (decent drummers always in short supply). He also manages to have a very serious day job. He learnt on a real drum kit but now has an electronic drum kit using up space at home whilst he is abroad and a drum kit abroad (inherited from band's previous drummer).
We thought it might be dreadfully noisy and antisocial but it is no worse than DH's violin playing.

QueenofLouisiana Tue 06-Jan-15 21:58:54

Thanks All. We are in touch with a potential teacher. Rather exciting!

ArtyBat Tue 06-Jan-15 22:17:18

Fantastic drumming there.I would have loved to drum myself, but ended up learning to tap dance instead!

So, here's my offering - Albanach - love them - see what you think!

Albannach - The Fire and Thunder of Scotland - YouTube

stealthsquiggle Tue 06-Jan-15 22:33:44

DS learns percussion as his second instrument (after piano) - he loves it, he has done one exam in drums, the next one may be another drum one or orchestral percussion, I am told. He practices at school but is now saving for an electronic drum kit ( we have had a school drum kit home for the summer. Fine for a while but not in his room permanently. Nothing to do with neighbours, everything to do with me).

At the risk of hijacking, do any of the mn drummers have recommendations for electronic drum kits?

LooseAtTheSeams Wed 07-Jan-15 09:12:19

I think they don't make DS1's Roland model anymore but one of ds2's friends has a more recent Roland. The one we have is about 4.5 yrs old and is being used for grade 4 practice. Basically, we looked at some models online, found one that looked reasonably priced and a reputable brand and then double-checked with the teacher before buying it. Always check with the teacher! Hiring might be another option.

stealthsquiggle Wed 07-Jan-15 10:23:50

Thanks. DS has about £50 in his drum fund so far, so we have a while to check out the options (I said I would match whatever he can save as his birthday present)

drummersmum Sat 10-Jan-15 18:38:15

OP: check out the Pearl traveller if you're thinking of the real thing. Great price and great kit - takes less space and easier to carry. And protect his ears!!

DS now 13 has been drumming for 7 years. When he started he could barely reach the pedals. We have established practice times with neighbours. In primary school I had to load the car several times and take the kit everywhere. Now secondary school has two kits so that's over! He is Grade 7 and there is no way he could be playing and electronic kit the way he plays his Pearl traveller. He has added lots of extra cymbals, stands, things like a cowbell, etc. Plus come his birthday he chooses his cymbals like they are gemstones. They all sound different.
He is also doing orchestral and tuned percussion which has been an easy start for him as he plays the piano. Unfortunately I have no budget or space to get a xylophone, marimba or glockenspiel so he learns the pieces on the piano and practices them in school which luckily has all three. I wish I could have those at home though!
Drums are great, very physical and very cool in school. They are noisy as hell so it takes a certain kind of parent. We love it but know of parents who wouldn't dream of it!

LooseAtTheSeams Sun 11-Jan-15 09:59:04

Have made a note of Pearl Traveller myself as at some stage DS1 will need to switch kits and can reasonably be expected to save up for it himself.
The tip about negotiating with neighbours is spot on - I know of teenagers who did exactly that and went on to be a professional drummers. They agreed a time when they would practise each day and stuck to the agreement. So it doesn't have to be about electric kits and headphones!
It's nice to have a thread for people who think drums are cool - we are amazingly lucky to have a neighbour who agrees!

QueenofLouisiana Mon 12-Jan-15 21:57:03

Just an update- we've found a teacher and the drums arrive this week! Pass the ear-defenders!

drummersmum Mon 12-Jan-15 22:13:29

Great! Rock on!

FrancesNiadova Wed 21-Jan-15 22:13:45

Drums are brilliant! DS has a set of electric drums & he has just passed his grade 2 with distinction!
They are good for developing rhythm, co-ordination, balance, gross motor skills & spatial awareness.
I hope your son enjoys them!

QueenofLouisiana Fri 23-Jan-15 17:32:06

He loves them! Drum lessons start next week. He can't wait to play a 'cool' instrument and is thrilled that I would be fine with him playing in a rock band at High School grin. Clearly I am now very old as he can't imagine that I'd ever have thought that. <notes not to mention electric guitar playing boyfriends from school days>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now