Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else back in routine?

(14 Posts)
QueenofLouisiana Mon 29-Dec-14 16:28:08

We're back to the pool after a Christmas break- feels like we've never been away! DS should have been back 2 days ago but has had a tummy bug so got an extra rest.

Are you all back to practice/ training/ lessons (depending on the hobby of your DC)?

Wafflenose Mon 29-Dec-14 17:12:44

Mine are musicians. Well, the littlest one is hugely into art, but plays a couple of instruments, because, why not?

I have given them a week off, and planning to get back to practising tomorrow. They do 5 instruments between them, and are meant to practice each of them 4x a week. We have a festival coming up in a few weeks (loads of performances) so I do need to get on the case!

Hope your DS feels better.

QueenofLouisiana Mon 29-Dec-14 19:18:14

DS is much better (I think the tummy bug may have been caused by chocolate coins after I cleared out the wrappers from the car!!). He was starving tonight as they swam 'a couple of miles' .
Definitely felt like there's never been a break as a started feeding him again - it was noticeable that he ate less last week than during training. He has a couple of galas in the next month to get fit for.

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 29-Dec-14 19:29:51

Dd has three days of "back to school" ballet/jazz/stretch workshops starting Friday.

But she has been stretching & doing her barre all over the holidays.

janet41 Mon 29-Dec-14 19:32:19

We had a week off pre Christmas when we went abroad but otherwise dd has played a lot every day though choice - indeed has decided to tackle some rather challenging pieces for first time on her own. Interesting to see just how much she plays and sings when not so time constrained.

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 29-Dec-14 19:36:28

Music practice has been... inconsistent... over the holidays.

DS2 has realised (without me mentioning it) that his sight-reading needs work. He did a lot of choral singing in the lead-up to Christmas so the instrument has taken a back seat. He has an exam next term.

DD was in a really good practice routine last term, but has somehow 'forgotten' how to play one of the pieces for the exam she is due to take next term.

saintlyjimjams Mon 29-Dec-14 20:27:18

Ds2 is in a rather big show at the moment (involves staying away) so having never flown before has been back & forth on planes & busy performing.

He has a few days off so have been trying to catch up on homework & work missed last term.

Theas18 Mon 29-Dec-14 20:32:32

No where near back in routine but things were manic up till xmas until after xmas morning service. A choristers lot not to mention school music and carolling / busking too. So we are only on day 3 of " holiday".

Mind you the big 2 flew off on choir tour today !

JulieMichelleRobinson Mon 29-Dec-14 23:48:18

I'm not back in routine but Wafflenose will understand when I say I've been researching, planning, scheduling, invoicing and meeting with banks etc... Not to mention doing my own practise! Also, I play in church so not much time off yet!

JulieMichelleRobinson Mon 29-Dec-14 23:49:02

Ouch, two exclamation marks in one paragraph.

lecherslady Tue 30-Dec-14 00:36:29

Unfortunately!

DD had a week off, but was due to be back training today. She was ill so missed it. But she'll be back in this week and straight back to full on training 3.5 hour training sessions. So lots of hanging around for me hmm.

LooseAtTheSeams Tue 30-Dec-14 09:19:34

Nothing happens officially here till next week/week after when music and other activities start up again. Music practice has been mixed, DS1 discovered an old bass guitar and has been teaching himself rather than playing the flute, so am now having to insist on flute first, then bass, but at least he isn't glued to the computer.

Ishouldbeweaving Tue 30-Dec-14 09:58:43

It's been a bit slack here since Christmas Eve. December was a manic month so it's understandable. I nagged about maths revision yesterday so I might remind him about the existence of his instrument this afternoon.

Santa brought a silent brass mute for the trombone - if I'm in the kitchen I can't hear him playing in the living room. It's so quiet that I might lift the 7pm embargo on playing.

Mistigri Tue 30-Dec-14 19:42:17

DD is playing a concert on Friday (guitar). She finally decided on the set list yesterday hmm ... including one piece that she has only just finished writing ... and we were out all today so she will have to do a proper run through tomorrow to see if any last minute work is needed. She is a very secure and confident performer though so I have every confidence that it will be all right on the night!

She has done a bit of piano but the sax has yet to come out of the case ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now