DD very disappointed to be placed on a waiting list following her audition - looking at the timetable it seems they have already completed four audition days with only one more to go, in January for her entry level. Does that sound like it's really a no? DD is also down for another (mainstream) school that will want a confirmed answer next term so although we can sit it out, it's not ideal, and I don't want to spin it out for her if it's really a no she is v sad right now. Just wondered if anyone else has been in this position at Tring and has any wise words to offer? Thank you
Although it is only a waiting list place, it isn't a definite 'no', as there will people offered places who are unable to take them up for various reasons/take up offered places elsewhere etc. Those places will then be offered to people on the waiting list, as and when they come up.
Sorry - that doesn't really help you decide what to do does it? But places can become unexpectedly free at quite a late stage...
No but that helps a bit, thanks. I guess trying for Yr 9 isn't the easiest thing when a more normal intake might be for yr7. Tricky because the other school will want us to accept or reject them by half term but DD really really desperate to get into TP.... have everything crossed for her!
You're right, places at any vocational school are as rare as hen's teeth after Y7, so it is a big achievement to be placed on the waiting list. There can also be places for Y10, as if people are going to move, they will do so before GCSE's so if no joy this time your dd can try again next year.
It depends on what the people who were given definite offers decide to do, and how many people are ahead of her on the waiting list. But being given a reserve offer is an achievement in and of itself. That's the problem with competitive auditions... and also, the same people are often given offers at multiple institutions... so they have to choose between them, and then the reserves come up. If they meant a definite no, they'd have said no.
Congratulations on ds getting into the waiting list.
In my experience there is a lot of movement. Some children may have auditioned hoping for an MDS funded place on the dance course & some will ge awaiting outcomes of scholarship auditions next year. My dd for example would love to go somewhere like Tring as we feel their Theatre arts course would suit her more than her current school/course but we simply cannot afford their fees. (She is in Year 8 now)
At my dds school she was offered a place in May & another boy in August (but that was for Year 7)
Is the mainstream school independent? We lost a full terms fees at dds alternative school because she had already accepted a place there.
I know how awful the feeling of limbo is, we are currently experiencing that for different reasons but your dd has done incredibly well & it isn't a no, not even a 'not yet ' really, just a she has reached the standard but we don't have enough spaces.