Talk

Advanced search

Little off topic boast post.

(7 Posts)
Theas18 Wed 10-Dec-14 13:35:17

Sorry if this is the wrong place/not allowed but I feel extracurricular is my " MN home" as you've been with me through the kids journey balancing loads of music and studying through the years.

Eldest DD (21) still doing loads of singing and an MA in ancient history has just got an award to study at the British school at Rome for 2 months in the spring! I'm so proud and will be booking a holiday to visit her.

It's a great step towards her applications for a funded PhD ( which are umm like hens teeth in the arts!) too.

Ishouldbeweaving Wed 10-Dec-14 17:51:10

I'm pretty sure that there isn't an age cut off after which you have to stop being proud of your children's achievements. It sounds a fantastic thing in itself, even better if it make a nice glittery line on an application form. Rome in the springtime - well there are times when you have to suffer as a parent aren't there?

Mistigri Thu 11-Dec-14 07:10:51

Fantastic for your DD (and sounds like a great reward for all those parental sacrificed over the years ;) ).

I have a musical child who loves ancient history (Latin in her favourite subject at school and she wants to start Ancient Greek next year) but I'm encouraging her to do something a bit more sciencey :-/ .

Theas18 Thu 11-Dec-14 10:21:10

Thanks both smile

Mistigri I can understand your push towards science for your DD, but if she really loves " old stuff" as DD puts it maybe she should go for it. I'm always amazed at how much DD "lights up" when she talks about it - she just is in love with it!

iseenodust Thu 11-Dec-14 10:26:08

Excellent news. Bet she has a ball.

Misti couldn't the two be combined in something like archeology?

LooseAtTheSeams Thu 11-Dec-14 12:50:43

Theas18 that is such an inspiring post! Well done to your DD and definitely push for the funding for the PhD, it sounds like she has an excellent chance of securing some! Oh, and enjoy your holiday in Rome!

maggiethecat Thu 11-Dec-14 21:36:15

Theas, well done to your girl! It must be so satisfying to see her thrive at what she loves.
Mistigri, your dd sounds a bit like mine - very musical and loves history and would be glad if she never heard the word science again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now