Talk

Advanced search

How to find the right musical instrument for your child

(8 Posts)
Dancergirl Wed 26-Nov-14 15:15:38

Dd3 is 7, will be 8 in February. She started learning the recorder at her last school and was doing well and seemed to be picking it up quickly.

She changed schools last May and the new school don't offer recorder. There is a chance for her to learn violin though.

She is keen to learn an instrument but I want to do a bit of research to see what's right for her. I would love her to learn the violin, it's a beautiful instrument but I know it's hard work and can take time to get results. But this is about her not me!

I am musical myself and play the piano so that's also a possibility. Although I did find piano a bit frustrating because it's quite a solitary instrument and I got more pleasure from playing clarinet in the school band when I was a teenager.

Can anyone give me any advice please?

TywysogesGymraeg Wed 26-Nov-14 18:48:53

Most music teachers will give taster lessons. Have a look/listen to various instruments with DD on internet and a think about the type of music they are used for and what types of groups DD could get involved with and take it from there.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 26-Nov-14 18:53:45

I would look at her personality tbh.
Some instruments allow for rapid progress with average practice and some don't.
The violin is a good example.
Does your dd like paying attention to detail and work at things until they are right.
Ime violins and pianos, prob other instruments too take lots of patience whereas a brass/wind not so much.
I know that is just one thing to consider but I think its fair to have it there with considerations.

JulieMichelleRobinson Wed 26-Nov-14 19:57:28

What does she want to learn? That's first question! Violin is very... Fussy. I say this as a violinist. Progress is slow, especially at the beginning. But in the end very rewarding - I play everything from Bach and Brahms to trad Irish, Eastern European, gypsy punk and jazz, and with various groups. But..... Hard work to begin with! So it can be a little disheartening compared with recorder or flute.

woolleybear Wed 26-Nov-14 20:44:00

We went to a childrens concert where the children were able to try out instruments before hand. My daughter was adamant after that she would be playing the clarinet, even though it meant waiting over a year til she was bigger. She started in September and loves it.

Daisy17 Wed 26-Nov-14 20:50:52

Listen and look at different instruments on the internet and yes, if there's a kids' concert on near you that's good too. Most kids will react to a particular sound that they want to make and that's a great motivator when learning. As a pianist, I agree it can be lonely, definitely best in combo with single line instrument!

Worriedandlost Thu 27-Nov-14 21:58:10

There is a book how to choose an instrument
www.amazon.co.uk/Right-Instrument-Your-Child/dp/1409138127/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417125029&sr=8-1&keywords=the+right+instrument+for+your+child

Mistigri Fri 28-Nov-14 07:15:55

You have to be a bit pragmatic too regarding what's available locally and how much you're prepared to spend.

An instrument doesn't have to be for life - and I'm a bit sceptical that all children are capable of making a good choice at 7. My dd tried various instruments, opted for the recorder, but stopped after about 6 years. She took up the guitar later, and hasn't looked back (and has since taken up piano and sax).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now