Talk

Advanced search

ASA swimming awards

(6 Posts)
ReallyTired Thu 30-Oct-14 23:43:43

What can a typical swimmer in an ASA stage 3 swimming class do? Our sports centre seems to have higher standards than anywhere else as the tack on extra things to the stages. DD is starting a stage 3 class and can easily swim a 25 length on either her front and back with an over arm recovery. She can do breaststroke legs, but struggles to coordinate both her arms and feet with breaststroke.

How old is the average child in a stage 3 class? Dd is five years old and has had swimming lessons for two years.

FelixTitling Thu 30-Oct-14 23:49:12

At our sports centre, the focus is on technique rather than distance. Both of mine floundered for a while at level 3 and I ended up taking them out for a bit and restarting after a break. 5 sounds youngish to be in level 4 to me (but I am not an expert).
I think this is a breakdown here of what they need to be able to do.

CharlesRyder Fri 31-Oct-14 18:29:02

Do you mean Stage 3 working for 4 or 2 working for 3?

My DS is Stage 2 working for 3 and is 4.2. He can swim 10m on front but arm stroke is a bit hit and miss. He can flutter kick 10m on his back without a float, but currently trying to add in arms makes him sink. He can do breaststroke arms but not legs.

ReallyTired Fri 31-Oct-14 19:06:04

I think that passing stage 2 means different things in different leisure centres. At our sports centre under 5s have their own seperate classes and do Duckings awards where Duckings level 5 is the equivalent of passing stage 1.

Dd is working towards stage 3 and most of the children are older than her. She can do front crawl with proper breathing and over arm action as well as back stroke. She is learning breaststroke.

Hillfog Fri 31-Oct-14 19:18:03

I've got a 4yr old in a Stage 3 class and a 6 yr old in a Stage 4 class. The 4 yr old is one of the smallest in her class. The 6 yr old is more average for that class.
They can both swim a 25m length on front/back. The 4yr old is a tidier swimmer with a better crawl technique but she can't do breaststroke very well and won't move into stage 4 till she can. I would say she is one of the stronger swimmers in her group, being able to swim like that. The 6 yr old is messy but stronger and can manage breaststroke and butterfly just about.

lunar1 Sat 01-Nov-14 08:10:28

To move up from stage 2 in our pool they have to do 10m front and back with no aids, jump in and be confidant in the water. Stage 3 was about starting some technique and increasing the distance. Ds1 is 6 and in stage 7, he is strokes are all correct, but technique goes off after a few lengths. They do about 30 lengths in a lesson, he gets better rack time. Butterfly is his weakness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now