Talk

Advanced search

Anyone's DC been on a "World Challenge"?

(7 Posts)
LynetteScavo Thu 18-Sep-14 21:11:43

If so did they actually raise most of the cost themselves?

Was it worth the cost?

BramwellBrown Mon 13-Oct-14 21:04:21

Not my DC (they're way too young yet) but my little sister has and little brother is fundraising for his at the moment.

Little sister raised most of hers herself, except for the little bit I got by joining her on sponsored stuff, little bro still has a little to raise, I'm joining him and his mates for a few days bag packing as the shop said they need an adult and he had some help at the jumble sale he organised especially from my DC who helped by buying mountains of junk but otherwise he's done it himself.

Yes little sister's was definitely worth the cost, she loved it, says it was a fantastic experience and the fundraising taught her a lot about the value of money and hard work.

moaningminnie2 Tue 14-Oct-14 20:06:07

They do them at our school (a state school) and cost about £4000 and surprisingly 50% of the children go.the fundraising thing is just shit.The parents of course have to underwrite it.It is ok for 16+ kids who can get a part time job but for 15 yr olds earning that amount of money is very difficult.
I very much resent 'fundraising' events .Why should other people pay for your child's holiday.My DD did something very similar with guides and it only cost £1600 which is much more affordable.

ijustwanttobeme Tue 14-Oct-14 20:16:40

As mentioned on another WC thread, my DD went last year to Kyrgyzstan. Cost nearly £4000 iirc, and we paid half and she paid half.

She absolutely loved it, and makes references to her experience all the time.

Yes, the fund raising aspect, kind of fell by the wayside although they did do lots of school events. Bag packing in Waitrose was only done once I think and a sponsored run/ walk never happened.

DD got a lot out of it, in particular the knowledge that she can survive without her mobile phone and lap top for four weeks, without it being the end of of the world as she knew it ��

Roisin Tue 14-Oct-14 20:27:21

I really object to "fundraising" for this sort of thing. Why should anyone else support your dc on such a trip?

I think they should be encouraged to get a job and earn money to contribute, or do odd jobs around the neighbourhood, like mowing lawns, clearing snow etc. But not fundraising. Some schools employ pupils as cleaners: I think that's a great idea.

ds2 is going on a very expensive school trip and he is making a significant contribution himself from earnings and savings.

Tanaqui Tue 14-Oct-14 20:30:08

Be aware it is NOT a charity- the company makes a hefty profit. There are other companies that are more charitable- WC is mainly a lovely holiday jolly (and no doubt v character forming) with a bit of helping out.

RunkyJam Tue 04-Nov-14 15:00:13

British Exploring Society is a charity (I work with them), but doing similar type of expeditions.

Much more of a focus on personal development than WC, and the "fundraising" side of things can be easier due to the type of activity the young people do when out on expedition (i.e. contributing to valuable conservation projects etc.)

- I helped out a "next steps" day last weekend, where they get together to reflect on the experience. It was brilliant seeing some of the kids after their expedition is amazing and really worthwhile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now