Talk

Advanced search

Calling all CUBS LEADERS

(4 Posts)
SmellingPistake Tue 04-Feb-14 11:42:00

Can I ask how you go about choosing your sixers?

How often do sixers rotate?

Or do they remain sixers until the move on up to scouts?

Do you get parent pressure to make their DC a sixer?

What do sixers actually do?

I'm asking as a parent to a DC who has recently joined a fantastic cubs group - I just feel a bit green (sorry) around the ears on such subjects and am still finding my way around these things.

Thanks.

Lucylouby Tue 04-Feb-14 12:45:17

I am a brownie leader, so it's similar. Each unit will have their own way of doing things, but generally with my unit we go for the oldest ones to be sixers. Unless one of the oldest has only just joined us then we might make the next oldest the sixers and the older but newer girl the seconder. It is really difficult making the right choices about sixers. I have never demoted anyone, but if one girl was being really silly, not coming every week etc it would be really difficult as the other girls are meant to look up to their sixers. In brownies, sixers are expected to look after the young girls (to an extent) collect things from me, eg the registers, craft items etc, fill in the registers, make sure their six are standing nicely when asked. Just a little bit of extra responsibility really.
I have had parental pressure to make certain children sixers. It does nothing to sway me into a decision though. I try to do it fairly so each girl as they move upwards in age gets a go at being sixer. Some might be sixer for. Longer time than others but they should in theory all get a go.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 04-Feb-14 19:28:25

Brownies here too. We make the oldest in each Six the Sixer.

Occasionally, if the age distribution across Sixes goes wrong, we swap girls round so all the oldest get the opportunity to be a Sixer or Seconder, but we try not to.

When parents complain, we tell them the system we follow was chosen by the girls, which it was.

Sixer's have to do stuff like put tables out, hand out paper and pens, collect stuff, help the little ones, introduce new Brownies making their promise, make/hand out drinks, hand out snacks, and anything else we think of on a particular night.

xmb53 Fri 07-Feb-14 22:21:48

i am a Cub leader. No rotation, but sixers and seconders are so on merit, not length of service etc. Sixers and seconders do flag break, are to help set up games, help younger ones get involved and should be the first to control the cubs in a six when necessary. Parents get no say at all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now