Talk

Advanced search

Royal ballet school junior associates

(116 Posts)
MaisyMoo123 Wed 08-Jan-14 22:25:30

Hi, have raised this on a different thread but thought I'd start a new one specifically on this topic. My 8 yr old dd's ballet teacher has suggested that she audition for the royal ballet school junior associates programme. I'm really not sure what to make of it. Clearly we're very proud of dd as she's obviously showing some promise and I can see it would be an amazing opportunity but it also fills me with fear as it is a completely alien world to me and one I'm sure would be viciously competitive and require huge time and financial commitment. honest! Has anybody got any experience of this? I'd really welcome views and opinions to help me get my head round it! Thanks!

amberbutton Fri 12-May-17 08:53:33

Does anyone know when we get the results? I think it was early June last time, but that seems very soon.

amberbutton Wed 10-May-17 11:36:53

Good luck to those auditioning this week. My child's audition is next week.

elfonshelf Tue 02-May-17 21:11:15

We've got the afternoon on the 2nd June in London smile

orabel Sun 30-Apr-17 13:24:50

Apparently the auditions begin next week for some, so good luck to all those children (and parents).

orabel Sun 30-Apr-17 13:23:44

New 2017 RBS JA thread on ballet co. Please remove if not allowed MNHQ.

www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/15256-rbs-junior-associates-2017/

I hope people continue to update here too! I shall be.

Muddlingalongalone Tue 25-Apr-17 00:06:21

This has just popped up on active threads and made me reminisce.
Many many moons ago my brother was a ja & then went on to white lodge.
I remember him having to be a tree at audition (prob around 1990-1) and lots of measuring/height predictions etc
I have to say that although it was a commitment it didn't takeover our family life it was just another aspect to it. As the rubbish not in any way natural dancer I got regular trips to London for a day out, plenty of time at football with my dad.
White lodge was an amazingly inspirational place and equally a very weird & scary place.
Fritz in the nutcracker with Viviane Durante will be a lifelong memory as a very proud sister.
Good luck to those embarking on their journeys - it can be brutal but also fabulous.

amberbutton Mon 24-Apr-17 23:42:21

Finding it fascinating to read all this again (we're trying again with different child). I remember the actual OP of this thread from another forum in 2014, but sadly their child wasn't successful in the JAs audition - in case anybody was wondering what happened to the OP.

Only a few weeks to go and this is the only current thread to be found grin

orabel Wed 19-Apr-17 20:50:02

Yes it is better to take the emphasis off a little.

I expect there will be a JA thread over on ballet co soon. Though I hope people continue to update here also. Good luck anyway!

elfonshelf Sat 15-Apr-17 12:07:27

We're London, so likely to be beginning of May. I was thinking of putting DD in for the YDA associates as the RBS is such a long shot. I don't think they have quite such horrendous odds there and it would give her the audition experience and if she was offered associates there and RBS is a no, then at least she'd be getting the extra hours of superb training (her current school doesn't have that option). Also takes the whole emphasis off RBS being some kind of big goal.

Does mean another set of photos as the positions are different from the RBS and I still haven't quite recovered from the trauma of doing their set.

There haven't been any JA threads for a bit, but I imagine there will be some new ones once the auditions get underway.

orabel Sat 15-Apr-17 10:05:30

Yes, I've been on ballet co for years. I hadn't noticed any new JA threads, though, it's all Mids and the White Lodge auditions most recently.

That's the good thing about these threads and forums, that people do 'get' it. Non dance families could be forgiven for thinking we're a little obsessed.

We've just received the audition dates this week (outside of London) so it is getting rather nerve wracking. Though we're planning ahead, to other competitions/auditions/exams, so this audition doesn't appear so all-important, as of course there are so few places (compared with number of applicants)

elfonshelf Fri 14-Apr-17 18:23:33

No problem! Are you on balletco? There's a fair few of us trying not to show our nerves over there - DD's completely laid back about it, so I can quietly obsess with others in the same boat.

None of my friend's have dancing DD's - or at least they are very much in the 'nice to have tea with other mothers while DD prances about the church hall' camp and I don't want to come across as a complete loon/tiger mother stressing about turnout and body to leg proportions!

Annoyingly, I can guarantee that DD will come out of the audition unable to remember a single thing that they were asked to do - she's been doing 'nothing' or 'I forget' at school since nursery - so I probably won't be much help to anyone in future years.

orabel Fri 14-Apr-17 13:51:06

Thanks Elf.

No, not much you can do to prepare, really.

The JAs we know (only three from different schools) are all petite and beautifully proportioned for ballet. However, one teacher informed us, after observing JA classes, that this is not the case, uniformly, and there are many different shapes and sizes.

elfonshelf Thu 13-Apr-17 15:01:09

From what I have gleaned from conversations and around the web, they do a bit of barre work, some centre work, simple stretches once they've warmed up - froggies to check for turnout potential, lying flat on back with arms and legs extended to check for 'banana backs', some say they do box splits (but not essential to be able to do these by any means), then there are lots of gallops and skipping and a free-dance section such as pretending to be trees or seaweed.

They are not looking for technical expertise - there will be children there who have been dancing once a week for only a few months and others who have been dancing multiple hours, multiple disciplines, competitions, exams etc for years. With JAs, they want certain proportions, potential ability to be trained, musicality and the x-factor that no-one can define.

With DD, we're not practicing anything and my last minute advice is likely to be to pay attention to what the teacher says, not chat too much hmm and have fun.

orabel Wed 12-Apr-17 22:45:33

Does anybody know what exercises they're asked to do? Also if it follows similar format, order to a ballet class; barre, centre etc?

I asked my nephew what he did at the audition, but he can't remember anything apart from being asked to pretend to be a tree hmm That was only two years ago;

onlymusic Tue 11-Apr-17 16:25:31

Oops, wrong place to post!

onlymusic Tue 11-Apr-17 16:25:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

robindesbois Tue 11-Apr-17 03:07:38

One of my friends children (children at the same dance school) says her child's JA class is full of the well known (locally) championship and festival winning dancers. Her child is one of the few who isn't in that category, apparently, which is reassuring. She was worried at the audition as there were so many stage school, confident types.

elfonshelf Thu 06-Apr-17 21:36:07

I labelled each one DD first name / last name / Image 1-6

It took about 8 goes to get them all to upload.

ruddocks Thu 06-Apr-17 14:23:23

Did everyone applying here name their children's audition photos? Apparently there's been some IT problem, linking photos to forms, and some parents are having to resend. I'm hoping the dance teacher still has all the originals!

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 04-Apr-17 20:12:00

thanks evian, I can't see them on the website I must admit. Will look on ebay.

evianw Tue 04-Apr-17 17:50:24

I've only seen the white seamless pants in M & S here. I buy the nude seamless by Silky, or even katz, from Ebay

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 04-Apr-17 17:32:12

do M&S do seamless nude pants? not seen any. could do with some for festivals. will have to have a look on their website.

evianw Mon 03-Apr-17 19:52:29

Mine will be wearing her dance school uniform leotard, though we had the option to wear another of our choice, but preferably pale and sleeveless.

My friend decided to buy her daughter a neon orange leotard, a couple of years ago, at the audition, in the hope of standing out. It didn't work grin

elfonshelf Wed 22-Mar-17 20:19:31

We were told normal class leotard with belt, standard shoes - pink, leather and full sole and socks not tights.

If you have a child who wants to wear undies under their leotard, then M&S and some of the dance schools do seamless nude pants that don't show.

Main thing to check with leotard is that there are no fiddly straps and that it stays put on the backside.

dodobookends Wed 22-Mar-17 19:45:06

The best leotard to go for is one your dc is comfortable in, that fits snugly (their normal class leotard will be fine) and that doesn't have any fiddly straps. Oh, and if it is high-cut round the legs then make 100% sure that there's no underwear showing!

Don't go for one that's too low cut at the back either, in case they have to pin a number on the back as well as the front.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now