Talk

Advanced search

Music lessons for three year old?

(11 Posts)
Sutherlandgirl Mon 06-May-13 21:14:27

Hi

DS is really interested in music, so I'm wondering whether to look in to music lessons for him - to see if he enjoys it, first and foremost. I learned a couple of instruments at school but have no idea how to look for lessons for a young child! I'm biased and think its best to start with the piano - plus we have one already - but perhaps it's better for him to try different instruments?

I'm keen that if he does have lessons they are reasonably structured (ie not Jo jingles or something like that).

Any advice much appreciated!

LittleMissLucy Tue 07-May-13 04:14:03

I think its fine to get them into a group lesson where they explore rhythm and percussion and have a go on some instruments but really at 3 yrs old, unless you want to sign him up for suzuki violin, he's probably too small to start the piano. His fingers need to be strong but also big enough. And the child learning needs to have a good attention and be able to take instruction. Most music teachers I've come across prefer to wait til 5 or 6 yrs old for piano, violin, guitar etc. And these are highly trained professional music teachers at major music schools.

Moominmammacat Tue 07-May-13 10:18:15

Singing is the best start, group sessions for concentration, rhythm and pitch. That said, both my DSs started Suzuki vln at 3 and it worked well for them on grounds of brilliant teacher but it's a big commitment if you do it properly.

musicalfamily Tue 07-May-13 10:28:03

We are also a musical family (hence the name!), not just my children, but me, my brother (professional musician), my grandparents (one was a professional musician) and so forth and nobody started formal lessons before the age of 5/6.

Having observed my own children with different degrees of musical talent/musicality, I still didn't think 3 was an appropriate age to start formal music lessons, but I guess if you are lucky enough to find a teacher willing to give it a go, you could always try and see what happens!!

I think there is nothing wrong with a musical class like Jo Jingles or similar at that age, it is very beneficial to explore different instruments and rhythms and some are very well run and designed for that age group.

PhyllisDoris Tue 07-May-13 23:19:38

I agree that 3 is way too young to start serious formal lessons, but would look for the type of activities already mentioned.

Moominmammacat Wed 08-May-13 07:34:51

3 is OK if it's done properly with not too much focus on the instrument. Group lessons are good at that age and cheaper.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 09-May-13 22:39:51

Ok, I'm on the fence here.

My dd started music at 2, but no structured lessons. Its just part of her culture as we all play instruments, dh is a pro and I have dabbled in the past grin. So I say let them dabble and have some fun and if you play, its amazing what they pick up.
I also know 2 children (chinese) who are aged 5 and 7 and are currently gr3 and gr6 grade 6. At first I presumed they had a tiger mom, but getting to know their mum I find she's not at all. Music forms an important part of their life but they aren't pushed at all. The kids are lovely, well balanced and enjoy lots of activities.
I don't like group lessons and my dds first instrument is violin. I would not let them pay me to be involved with Suzuki or any other method.
I'd say find a good teacher, maybe 15 min lesson that you sit in on. Little bit of practice everyday and voila. Be prepared though for your dcs peers to start later and be at the same level in shorter space of time.

BackforGood Fri 10-May-13 12:49:50

Far too young, IMVHO.

AMumInScotland Fri 10-May-13 13:07:31

Find a class on trying out and experiencing music, aimed at his age. If there is a music school in your neighbourhood they may do something suitable - DS did one at age 5 in our local music school, and I know they had ones for younger ages as well. He moved from that up to group instrument lessons at 7 which is a more typical age to start seriously on one instrument.

IroningBoredDaily Sat 18-May-13 23:25:56

Dd started suzuki violin at age 3.5 and ds was 4.5 when he started on the same instrument.

Progress has been amazing - Dd is 9 and working for grade 6. They both thoroughly enjoy playing the violin and I'm so glad we started young.

Lessons are very short at first (15 mins) and practice is daily, but also for only a short time, so it isn't too difficult to get done.

savoirfaire Sat 18-May-13 23:31:07

Look up Colourstrings. If you have anywhere that does it near you I would really recommend it. No instruments until 5 or 6 but gets them singing, which is the basis for musical learning in the long term and all the techniques you learn in kindergarten are then used as a basis when they pick up an instrument later on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now