Talk

Advanced search

which metronome?

(9 Posts)
gramercy Mon 19-Sep-11 11:54:55

Sorry, probably most boring thread title of the week!

Need to buy a new one. I bought an electronic one but you had to programme in your own times and I couldn't get my head around it and neither could ds. The sound was quite unpleasant, too. Are those old tick tock ones still well-regarded? What do musicians generally use?

Ds is just about to do his Grade 6 piano and says he really feels he needs one now.

Thanks for help.

elphabadefiesgravity Mon 19-Sep-11 22:47:11

I still use my old tick tock one I had when I was 15. It saw me through uni.

The only people I knew/know who have electronic ones are peripatetic teachers or people who play in ensembles as they are small/light enough for them to carry around.

abittoofat Sat 08-Oct-11 15:11:19

There's a metronome app (tick-tock style) if you/DS have an iphone.

stripeybump Sat 08-Oct-11 15:14:19

Electronic ones are fine - it's personal preference though and they do drive one bonkers so if your DS wants a traditional one then go for that. As a pianist he doesn't need it to be portable.

Re which particular one - as long as it provides a steady beat it really doesn't matter!

Music teacher here - HTH

AgentProvocateur Sat 08-Oct-11 15:26:32

I got DS (also grade 6) a digital one, but he took it back to the shop and replaced it with a traditional one. He was more familiar with it because it's what his teacher used.

gelatinous Sat 08-Oct-11 16:49:23

ds chose a traditional tick-tock one when he needed one and it's been fine.

ZZZenAgain Sat 08-Oct-11 16:54:49

only ever had the old fashioned tick tock one and dd manages ok with that. Didn't even know about the digital ones...

gramercy Tue 18-Oct-11 13:25:55

Belated thanks. Just seen the replies. I do detest it - and was about to start an AIBU! - when posters ask for advice and then don't have the courtesy to thank people who've responded.

I shall look for a tick tock one.

Fraidylady Fri 21-Oct-11 20:55:45

Here's one:
metronome

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now