Talk

Advanced search

Recorder for musical beginner

(17 Posts)
ChinaInYourHands Thu 15-Sep-11 15:40:10

DS age 7 has just started learning te recorder at school and he loves it so I'd like to get him one to practice with at home. I'd like something half decent as he's learning music anyway (he does piano and guitar) and I think he'll use it a lot. I'd love some recommendations for a recorder and also for a practice book. Thanks so much.

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 15-Sep-11 15:47:44

Hi I am a music teacher and the aulos 205 this one is without any shadow of a doubt the best recorder you can buy at a reasonable price. The tutor book we use at school is "Red Hot Recorder" which comes with a CD to play along with and is fairly easy to follow.

You can buy them both at Musicroom

bruffin Thu 15-Sep-11 15:48:54

Go for a wooden one they have a much mellower sound. I had a lovely adler when I was younger but I don't think they make them anymore.

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 15-Sep-11 15:52:15

You have to spend alot of money on a wooden recorder if you want a half decent one.
IME the cheaper wooden ones are rarely in tune...

purcellfan Thu 15-Sep-11 15:53:20

I teach recorder and normally recommend the yamaha plastic ones. Wood is lovely but needs a lot of care and the plastic ones last longer when children are little. Even professional players and conservatoire students practice on plastic ones when just doing technical exercises etc as the wooden ones don't stand up to being played for hours.

Would also recommend red hot recorder.

ChinaInYourHands Thu 15-Sep-11 16:00:33

Thank you all for helping with this.
BrigitBigKnickers, could you please confirm for me that this is the right one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aulos-205a-Descant-Recorder-Outfit/dp/B000NCEQCS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316098668&sr=8-2

ChinaInYourHands Thu 15-Sep-11 16:03:26

Sorry I'm not sure that link was any good

www.amazon.co.uk/Aulos-205a-Descant-Recorder-Outfit/dp/B000NCEQCS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316098668&sr=8-2

GrimmaTheNome Thu 15-Sep-11 16:16:10

Can I jump in and ask a question too?
My DD has a plastic Yamaha - I think it is pretty much in tune (its one of the two models the school allows as others would be discordant) but it seems pretty squeaky (she has a pink plastic glittery one which has a pleasanter tone to my ears!) . She loves playing it, I got her a couple of recorder books for her birthday and she's worked through most of them. I'd like to get her something that sounds nicer for xmas or next birthday - so I'd be prepared to spend a decent amount if it really made a difference.

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 15-Sep-11 16:16:34

Yes that's the one.

munstersmum Thu 15-Sep-11 16:20:21

Check with school first if they sell them. DS's state primary taught the whole class in yr2 and they only charged £2.50 for a brand new one. Came in a case complete with cleaner.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 15-Sep-11 16:26:45

If you think he'll use it a lot, get something you can bear to listen to! Sometimes it goes right through my head.... I start wondering whether a tenor would be less shrill and worth forking out for (if DDs hands are big enough, she's 12) grin

ChinaInYourHands Thu 15-Sep-11 16:31:42

munstersmum, but you think the school will sell anything half decent? Will it matter and most kids have the school one and my ds has a different one?

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 15-Sep-11 18:43:04

You probably need to ask the school if there is a particular one the pupils must have.

I insist on my pupils (who join the recorder club- not the class based lessons) having the same recorder as if they end up in the orchestra later they will all be in tune with each other. We do a block order each year for the pupils to buy but they're not as cheap as £2.50.

IME anything costing £2.50 will not sound great! The Aulos 205s bought in bulk and with a discount usually work out around £10 each.

ChinaInYourHands Thu 15-Sep-11 19:43:46

BrigitBigKnickers thank you. I am definitely going to get that one. I actually feel uncomfortable with them sharing the recorders anyway, but maybe that's just me.

Finally, may I please ask you for a specific link to the 'Red Hot Recorder' book you hace recommended, as there seem to be five or six similarly named books?

Thanks again

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 15-Sep-11 20:08:13

This one

StuckUpTheFarawayTree Thu 15-Sep-11 20:12:47

£9.50 + shipping: www.omegamusic.co.uk/shop/music-shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=841&ref=1

ChinaInYourHands Thu 15-Sep-11 21:34:42

Thank you all so much. Got both!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now