Talk

Advanced search

DD wants to learn to play the piano

(5 Posts)
Thehusbandsatcricketagain Tue 13-Sep-11 14:53:56

I am ecstatic as she has never wanted to learn anything in her life (almost 12) but do I need to invest in a piano for practice.I have found one spoken to the chap that renovates them for a hobby & really does not want to much for it £250 so am tempted to buy it as it's so cheap or do I wait to see if she really does enjoy it & end up spending a lot more confused

I want to encourage her & tbh I have always wanted one but with money not being so freely available I would consider getting it as a birthday/christmas gift

Iyo do children that say things like I want to play an expensive musical instrument actually carry on with it.....what would you do ????

mistlethrush Tue 13-Sep-11 14:56:52

Ds (6) has said he wants to play the clarinet (like grandpa). I have said that he'd have to do reasonably well on piano and or violin and then we'd consider it when he's a bit older... and we're just about to spend a bit less than that on a bigger violin for him.

lovecamping Tue 13-Sep-11 14:59:17

Have u thought about renting a piano? Our local piano shop hires out pianos for £30 per month the if you buy it at the end of the year it's at a discount. If you buy a piano, you also need to look at transport and tuning. Transporting a piano was in the hundred of pounds when I looked at it for London.

Or how about a keyboard?

Personally I would not fork out lots of money for an instrument yet unless you really want a piano for yourself.

Debs75 Tue 13-Sep-11 15:03:58

DD1 plays the cello and has done for 4 years now. She gets her lessons funded at school so for her 16th next year I am getting her her own cello as she really wants to keep doing it and she will pay for the lessons at college, about £50 a term. The cello is costing me about £300-£400 2nd hand but that is still cheap.

I would get her some lessons quick smart and put a deposit on the piano now. If she has a few lessons and hates it then you have only lost a small deposit. If she likes it then you can tell her she has a piano for christmas and next birthday. Cheap pianos do come up quite often. There have been 2 in our local charity shops in the last 2 months for around £100. One was beautiful and had a great sound. I just wish I had the room for one

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Tue 13-Sep-11 15:20:56

lovecamping I looked & our local piano shop rents for £50 pm & for te £250 the man said he would deliver & tune ect this is why I am tempted

Debs75 I have had a tape measure out & with some serious jiggling I can fit it in but would have to go in living room (added bonus of ds not being able to put tv on all the time)

The thing is that I have always wanted a piano for myself but in reality would never find the time to learn oh what to do !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now