Talk

Advanced search

Is it too late to start music tuition at secondary school if you have never played an instrument before?

(11 Posts)
plonker Sat 16-Jul-11 08:32:23

Dd will be starting high school in September.

She would like to learn how to play the piano.

The school are offering music lessons as an extra-curricular activity, but dd worries that she would be the only beginner and thinks it might not be appropriate.

Can you please advise.

Lifeissweet Sat 16-Jul-11 08:41:28

Not at all! It may even be better to start at an age when she's keen to learn and has the motor skills to manage it. The piano is good because there's none of that making a horrible noise while you get the hang of it.

Please give her the opportunity. It is such a fantastic thing to do for your children. I am eternally grateful for my parents paying for music lessons when I was a child.

noteventhebestdrummer Sat 16-Jul-11 08:41:29

go for it!

I started at high school and now I'm a music teacher - older beginners tend to be more co-ordinated and that, plus strong self-motivation can mean faster progress than for an average 7 year old who is doing piano to please mum.

Lifeissweet Sat 16-Jul-11 08:42:47

Oh - and I don't know how the school are managing it, but many schools have peripatetic music teachers who teach small groups or individuals, so being a beginner is no problem at all. I doubt she would be the only one either.

plonker Sat 16-Jul-11 08:44:43

Oh that's fantastic, thanks for the feedback.

musicposy Sat 16-Jul-11 10:25:07

Not at all! Older beginners often progress very fast and quickly make up lost ground, particularly if they are motivated. Go for it and hope she has fun! smile

Habanera Mon 18-Jul-11 17:45:44

I started piano last year, aged 47.

Best thing I've done for myself for years.

I am bigger and more coordinated for sure than the (little) kids, but take longer to learn some things (too many interuptions, I prefer to think, rather than age related memory loss). Should be ideal at that age for her.

Expect it to be hard at first, but it will improve, tell her. A little every day. is better than hours all at once, once aweek.

cubscout Wed 20-Jul-11 12:12:59

It's never too late to take up an instrument (as Habanera demonstrates!). Music is a wonderful life skill. Good for her.

Marjoriew Thu 28-Jul-11 10:34:35

Three of mine started learning piano in secondary tutored by a 16 year old from the local grammar.
They went on to win medals, festivals and exams.

ivykaty44 Sat 30-Jul-11 10:44:26

my dd started year 7 last September and in January started flute lessons at school ( sept broke her arm badly so not much hope of playing anything for three months)

Dd loves the lessons and is getting on well, never played any instrument before

PoppyDoolally Sat 30-Jul-11 10:49:27

Go for it! She WANTS to learn and so that's half the battle!

I resumed lessons after 20 years and now grade 3 - starting late is no barrier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now