Talk

Advanced search

Leaving 4 year old backstage at dance show

(13 Posts)
Semolina2 Mon 20-Jun-11 20:59:34

DD has a dance show soon. Whole thing is 3 hours, obviously her bit (the youngest class) will be brief. Not really convinced about leaving her backstage all that time, bit of a crazy atmosphere, not sure she'd cope with that (and not pee in the costume), plus wild'n'crazy parent brain not convinced about supervision, people coming and going etc. Or am I being stupid?

changejustforyou Mon 20-Jun-11 21:10:01

With us supervision strict. As parents not allowed to walk in any time. Only let out at the end if the teacher saw the parent. CRB checked etc.

I do seem to remeber when dd young you could take her out after the break (so only 1.5 hour or so)

LIZS Mon 20-Jun-11 21:13:03

There should be adults allocated to each group of children, either teachers or LA approved matrons and strict signing in/out procedures. Ask for the running order and usually they will put the younger ones on first.

schilke Tue 21-Jun-11 18:56:29

Can you offer to help backstage? Lots of mums helping backstage - some crb checked, some not. It is hell. I am dreading it - helping supervise a horde of 4 and 5 year olds.

schilke Tue 21-Jun-11 18:57:29

Sorry meant to add - my dds doing show soon and that I was helping. Totally confusing post by me!

jasper1980 Tue 21-Jun-11 18:59:47

DS did a dance show at age 3, they put a dvd on in one of the dressing rooms and they younger ones were supervised(they had a dance in the first half and one in the seond half). He never peed in his costume either

PandaNot Tue 21-Jun-11 19:10:48

DS has done a gymnastics display for the last 2 years, the first time he was only 5. He had to wait 'backstage' for 3 hours every night for a week and he loved it, complained when I tried to take him home early. Depends on your child and whether you think they can cope.

CandiceMariePratt Tue 21-Jun-11 19:33:05

My dd age 4 is in a show soon, we are allowed to nip backstage and get them once they have done their bit which is on first.

madwomanintheattic Tue 21-Jun-11 19:46:45

yy. speak to dance school. if you have tickets and intend to watch the whole performance (and she doesn't have a ticket) then they will be supervised adequately backstage - usually by parent volunteers. if you aren't watching the whole thing you can normally collect them earlier when they're done.

i've given up being pfb about backstage stuff tbh. all three of mine dance, and they normally forget to allocate a boys dressing room, so ds1 gets banished to the furthest point of the theatre and is largely left to get on with it on his own. dd2 has cp and i used to be a bit picky about leaving her backstage on her own, but tbh they all get on with it now. i just flit backwards and forwards as required. i just try to mention to anyone loking after that dressing room that they need to watch dd2 on the stairs on the way up...

normally for the little ones there's a dvd or colouring stuff (top tip - only pencils, no felt tips in costume wink)

have yet to witness anyone peeing in their costume tbh, and have spent about 7 years so far helping out backstage... suppose there's a first time for everything!

Semolina2 Wed 22-Jun-11 08:44:22

Thanks everyone. I will of course speak to the teachers and see what they say. And have a jolly good nose at the arrangements when we get there.

elphabadefiesgravity Thu 23-Jun-11 18:50:47

You are being 'stupid' but understandably so as a first timer.

The rules and regulations are very strict. The dance school will have had to apply for a performing licence (or exemption if doing 4 nights or less) and they will have to have chaperones.

It does vary from area to area but chaperones have to have a CRB check and be issued with a special licence from the LEA. In my area we even have to provide written referees and have an interview with education welfare.

Only official licensed chaperones are generally allowed backstage. The regulations say that a parents is allowed to chaperone their own child but must not be left with anyone else and there is usually not enough room for every parent to stay. Plus non chaperones don't know the rules, regs and procedures. Children have to be signed in and out at the stage door aned every chapeorne must know which children they are responsible for.

There are sometimes other parents backstage but they are usually technical or dressers (officially chaperones are not supposed to help dress the children as it takes away from our supervisory role but in reality we all chip in)

Also inspectors from the LEA can tuen up at any time and they will check licenses child/chaperone rations etc.

I would advise sending colouring stuff or books for older children. Usually I take some when I am chaperoning the little ones.

cory Sat 25-Jun-11 11:54:58

Have been a chaperone at these events. Basically, the children are looked after backstage, they are kept entertained (dvds, colouring books, story telling), and they are taken to the loo. So no different from being at preschool really.

TheCoolWeb Sun 10-Jul-11 19:40:55

Hi, just to say she LOVED it! Plenty of supervision but no signing in/out procedure which would have made me happier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now