Talk

Advanced search

Honest opinions of karate etc

(10 Posts)
mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 17-Jun-11 20:05:14

DS1 is desperate to do karate (he is 5 and a half).

Just wondering what the general opinion of karate/kung fu etc is.

He wants to give it a go so I am going to let him have a trial lesson and take part for a month and then see where we are at.

There are a few on offer where we live and some are really professional sounding (and expensive £22 per hour) and the one we arew going to try is much more reasonable in a community centre as opposed to a proper Dojo 9?) etc.

What are your experiences?

veritythebrave Fri 17-Jun-11 20:42:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PaisleyLeaf Sat 18-Jun-11 18:20:22

I wish my DD would want to do Karate.
I only started doing it as an adult and saw some little girls who were really good at it.
My DD's not interested at all though.

WowOoo Sat 18-Jun-11 18:24:12

We go to a cheap one - but I think it's pricey at £6 a lesson!

Echo verity - fab for discipline, self confidence, fitness and burning off energy and of course when he's older for self defence if he needs it.

We both love it.. Go together if you can. Certainly try it. I did taekwando years ago and am just getting back into it.

veritythebrave Sat 18-Jun-11 18:28:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZZZenAgain Sat 18-Jun-11 20:19:37

dd tried kung fu for a bit when she was 5-6 but she couldn't get the hang of the moves the way it was taught - was taught by Chinese monks and their method was to go through various moves (as far as I understood it, perhaps a set sequence of moves following one upon the other) and you follow the best you can. Dd would have needed it broken down and to have learnt maybe one move at a time.

If it had been taught differently or if she had been better suited to that way of teaching, i think it would have been a very good thing to continue with but as it was, it was a frustrating waste of time for her.

ZZZenAgain Sat 18-Jun-11 20:21:24

also would have preferred it to have been girls only. The boys were unpleasant about the girls. It wasn't OTT but it wasn't necessary at all IMO

for your ds, can you observe a few first to see what you think of the atmosphere there and then arrange a trial lesson for a couple you liked.

ShellingPeas Sat 18-Jun-11 20:34:13

DS does karate and started at 5. He's now 11 and a black belt - he really enjoys it and it's been of great benefit to his co-ordination/physical ability and also social standing (being a wee tiny chap and quite shy).

We only pay £4 a class (South East) and it's pay as you go too, so no direct debits etc. Can't believe how much some are charging! Although when training for black he was going to 3 or 4 sessions a week so I suppose it adds up.

DD also started at 5 and did a couple of years, grading up to blue but has recently stopped - I'm hoping she will pick it up again in the future but currently has different interests.

mixedmamameansbusiness Mon 20-Jun-11 14:04:44

Well just called the one at the community centre and have been invited to go along tomorrow and he and his 2 friends who are interested can give it a go then we can decide if it is right for us. He is quite bookish and has already started saying he doesnt like PE so I feel he needs something. Something that isnt about winning but about the self if that makes any sense. confused

Lindax Wed 29-Jun-11 22:28:17

ds does karate, started (reluctantly) at 5.5. He's now 7 and enjoying it more (his favourite pastime is footie, but trying to get him into other things as well).

His club allows new starts to go for 6 lessons (which are £4 for 45mins) in tracksuit bottoms/t-shirt before you need to commit to continuing - then you need to buy licence (£12) and suit (£20). His club is based in a school and you pay £4 per session and 4+ beginners can go to 1-3 sessions a week.

we are on Scotland so probably lessons are a bit cheaper, but I think any good club would allow your ds to attend for a few weeks before having to spend money on suit etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now