Talk

Advanced search

How long to work up from 5k to 10k?

(12 Posts)
ThePinkOne Thu 31-Dec-09 19:51:41

I did the couch to 5k before having DS (who's now 10m) and went straight through the weeks and could manage 5k no problems. I'm planning to start again at week 6 which I've managed a few times this year (New Year health kick should see me stick at it!) so should be on 5k by the end of Jan.

I want to enter a 10k at some point but I'm just wondering how long I can expect it to take to get to that point. And if there's another programme like the couch to 5k to get me there?

Thanks Runsnetters!

saltyseadog Thu 31-Dec-09 20:13:07

About 6 weeks to do it comfortably - but could be done in less.

The adage is 'an extra mile a week (onto your long run)' - but if you don't have a really solid base to build on (i.e. have had a long break, or haven't done a lot of running) better to take slightly longer, and increase your long run by 1K a week.

Have you looked at Runner's World for a training plan?

ThePinkOne Fri 01-Jan-10 20:46:39

Thanks salty.

I've just looked on Cool Running and found a programme. It would have me training 5 days a week though shock I'm trying to work out how to fit 3 in at the minute!! A mile a week sounds like a good aim. And it looks like they suggest some shorter runs and 1 10k a week. Good ideas re speed training and hills too on the cool running site.

saltyseadog Mon 04-Jan-10 13:31:49

Good luck with it PinkOne. I am soooo missing running at the moment (7mo pregnant and massively lardy - ugh). I can't wait to get going again

Wheelybug Mon 04-Jan-10 20:45:10

I am planning to do the bupa 10K plan - I too did couch to 5K pre having dd2 who is 9.5 months. I got back to 5K a few months ago but have stuck to 5K mainly due to time constraints and the fact I do some of it in teh gym which is dull. But, have decided to press on to 10K and the bupa plan was recommended on the running thread - its 8 weeks, 3 times a week.

www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/beginner-10km/

ThePinkOne Tue 05-Jan-10 16:03:09

Thanks wheelybug. I like the look of that one! Just need to wait for the snow to go and I can get started smile

nappyaddict Thu 26-May-11 15:53:26

Does anyone want to do the bupa beginner to 10k with me?

melliebobs Thu 26-May-11 20:36:16

I'm trying to get myself into gear for a ten 10k and got a free 10wk membership at fullpotential where they have given me a workout to b able to comfortably do a 10km in ten weeks. I'm on wk 5 at the moment and defiantly noticed the difference. I don't mine sending it over to u and the forthcoming weeks when I get them

nappyaddict Fri 27-May-11 11:22:37

Yes please smile Do you need my email address or are you on FB?

melliebobs Fri 27-May-11 12:03:34

Email or I can send it to ur inbox here if your on here often

nappyaddict Sun 29-May-11 18:05:42

waterchestnuts at gmail dot com smile

melliebobs Mon 30-May-11 15:32:56

ok i'll send it over!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now