Talk

Advanced search

Those of you who give blood ... effect on exercise

(6 Posts)
SweetEm Tue 10-Nov-09 14:34:42

If you give blood, how long does it typically take you to feel back to normal afterwards with regards to your running/exercise programme?

I gave blood 2 weeks ago and still feel a bit lethargic and lacking in energy. I can't decide if it's the blood or the cold/dark/general laziness/whatever!

chuckeyegg Wed 11-Nov-09 08:17:18

To be honest I never feel any different, but then I'm not into sport. I walk everywhere.

Perhaps you need a vitamin supplement with iron. The dark evenings do effect my energy levels and always tried to go out at lunchtime for a walk.

SweetEm Wed 11-Nov-09 19:28:48

Well, I can't be anaemic or they wouldn't let me donate and I walk the school run twice a day too.

I do have some vitamins that I never remember to take - I'll give that a try and see if it helps.

chuckeyegg Wed 11-Nov-09 22:28:52

No they check your iron levels, perhaps you just need a holiday in the sun.

elsiepiddock Thu 12-Nov-09 17:45:52

On the day I give blood, I always make sure I go to the gym before rather than after. My blood seems to come out faster! I'm always a bit touch and go on the iron test (have failed it a few times)- so I take a multi-vit with iron the night before and it seems to help.

I go back to the gym the following day (maybe 24hrs later) and suffer no ill effects.

I read somewhere that it takes 24 hours for the blood volume to be replaced in your body.

crokky Thu 12-Nov-09 18:08:33

I would not do too much on the day of giving blood, but the following day, I would do whatever I wanted, including going to the gym.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now