Talk

Advanced search

why do i still find running so blardy hard?

(18 Posts)
Herecomesthesciencebint Wed 04-Nov-09 21:47:32

Been running on and off for a cople fo years, regularly for well over 9 months.

I do 5-6k once or twice in the week and then a longer run at the weekend say 8-10k.

My times are still awful. it takes me well over an hour to do 9km and i darent even say what 10k takes me!

I nearly always feel knackered every time I run, often look as tho half dead when only half way round and I never get any quicker.

And yet, with the dark evenings I have started doing some exercise classes and have amazed myself how fit i am. can easily do body combat or body attack with loads of extra moves, spin class etc.

So why does running defeat me so badly? Am I just not a 'natural'runner?

thelunar66 Wed 04-Nov-09 21:54:28

Running is bloody hard. Can you find someone to run with who is very experienced? Or can you join a local running club where you can get some coaching?

It could be that you are setting off too quickly and knackering yourself.

Try running an outward route for 30 mins, but take it steady - aim to be able to speak a few words with ease - then turn around and aim to run home along the same route, but getting back 30 seconds faster than you went out.

Its about pacing yourself you see.

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 04-Nov-09 21:56:32

Have you had your heart checked? My very fit friend, who has a minor heart problem, isn't great at running. But does yoga, pilates, circuit training et al, with no difficulty.

foxinsocks Wed 04-Nov-09 21:58:10

I think some aren't made for it

I still cannot run 1km. Seriously. Not 1 km. And by gawd, I have tried and tried to run but I just can't.

But put a pool in front of me and I can swim for ages grin

just be pleased you are good at something (those classes!)

moondog Wed 04-Nov-09 21:58:54

Are you a big lass?
Shifting a lot of weight is tiring.

What helps me is alternating between outside and running machine which |i crank up incrementally.

Also fantastically helpful was living in a very high altitude place then in the tropics.
Coming back afterwards to cool UK was a doddle! (Prob. not feasible for you thoguh?!)

Herecomesthesciencebint Wed 04-Nov-09 22:05:39

no moondog, my BMI is 19.

will mention the tropics thing to DH but imagine its a non starter!

The idea of doing an outward and back again route was mentioned by someone else to me but its really hilly where I live and that skews runs too much. Perhaps i could try and plan the flattest one and give that a go tho. i tend to do circular runs so it would make a change at least.

I perhaps should venture into the gym at the leisure centre and try a treadmill. have always found it so boring in the past but maybe these days the break would be pleasant not dull!

And after all that, perhaps I should just accept am a bit crap at it and merely congratulate self for still bothering to go! (esp with a STILL 2-3x night BFing DS who at 2.5 should know better!)

Am i still getting some benefit do you think? (from the running, not the BFing!)

bonfirewithaheartofgold Wed 04-Nov-09 22:06:26

do you enjoy it at all? i find, counterintuitively, that the slower i run the harder i find it - i feel all the aches and pains, the panting, the being too hot etc. when i just peg it the adrenaline/endorphins take over and i don't notice a thing (until i stop, but then it's a kind of post-coital happy exhaustion feeling blush). do you go at the same pace all the way round? i find alternating fast and slow is a good way to keep the happy hormones pumping without totally knackering myself.

i had a theory when i started out here on the c25k thread that some people are more sensitive to the chemicals than others. some of us started, got hooked, and never looked back, while others never seemed to enjoy it. i'm a complete junkie for it whereas my mum appears to be immune to exercise endorphins and always finds being active a trial and a necessary evil.

moondog Wed 04-Nov-09 22:09:49

Oh, you sound in excellent shape.
When I run outside, I wear sleeveless top-I have to keep up a swift pace to keep warm.
I also never run there and back or in a circle-I do what my father used to do, which is get someone to drop you a good way from home and run back.He liked the feeling of running home and so do I.

Ipod helps too.

foxinsocks Wed 04-Nov-09 22:12:05

herecomes, I think it sounds like you are doing loads tbh

I bet breastfeeding probably takes it out of you a bit too

with your BMI being quite low and you still nightfeeding, you might find that when you start to get your sleep back, your energy levels improve and your times increase

personally, I think running that distance a week is very impressive!

foxinsocks Wed 04-Nov-09 22:12:25

times improve not increase!

thelunar66 Wed 04-Nov-09 22:39:24

OH yes... moondog's suggestion is excellent... i do that on weekends... get DH to drop me 8 miles from home, so i have no choice but to run back. I take a friend though.

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 04-Nov-09 22:45:42

as a very very new person to running i doff my cap...

foxinsocks Thu 05-Nov-09 07:55:59

(also check you aren't anaemic)

DuchessOfAvon Thu 05-Nov-09 08:05:17

<faints>

You are still doing nightly b/f AND you are managing that distance three times a week.

<faints again>

I agree about seeing what happens once you stop feeding and get some sleep - you'll probably find it makes a huge difference.

I started running for the first time in (ahem) nearly 40 years when I stopped b'f - about 2 months ago now. I barely drag my sorry arse around 1.5 miles three times a week. But I am a bloater though, so I have an excuse. grin

Lizzylou Thu 05-Nov-09 08:12:35

Sounds daft but do you have an Ipod/MP3 player? I notice I run a heck of a lot faster/longer when I have certain songs on.

Am just getting back into running again after another break and tried it without my Ipod the other day (hadn't charged it), just couldn't run at all. The sound of my wheezing and wobbling put me right off!

OrmIrian Thu 05-Nov-09 08:17:50

DOn't worry about your times. I am quite slow but I don't let it bother me (much) (takes me an hour to do about 5 miles even after years of running). For fitness and weight loss slow running is just as effective as sprinting. Unless you are intending to run a marathon any times soon?

However if you really want to speed up try interval training (or my version of it). Run fast for 100 paces, then slow down, then do it again in a few kms. It does seem to help. Don't expect to do the whole distance at a higher speed.

BTW I ran whilst bfing for ages. I had to as until 2007 I was either pregnant of bfing for 10yrs grin I don't think it makes any difference - unless you are still sole bfing.

I am not a natural runner inspite of having unfeasibly long legs! But I love it and don't let my speeds put me off.

WayneKai Thu 05-Nov-09 08:23:28

agree with orm. i don't bother checking my speeds. i just run and enjoy myself. the fact you are doing it at all is amazing.

It sounds like you are doing brilliantly. smile

I second the ipod. I can sort of zone out with certain music. And to be honest, there are some days I really dislike the running and other days I feel like I am flying. But I can't do without it.

I'm in the tropics, at altitude and hills and my speed doesn't seem to have changed in a year.

If you are really bothered by your speed then try Orm's interval training and try some hill sessions too, where you pick your worst favourite hill and run hard up it, jog slow down it for say 10 times or 30 minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now