Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Poi spinners or spinners in general?

(10 Posts)
PixiNanny Thu 29-Oct-09 11:14:06

Are there any spinners here? Just curious really as I've been trying to find some near me but, alas, isn't going to happen I don't think! So who spins?

paisleyleaf Thu 29-Oct-09 22:29:55

I don't, but quite few do round here (I'm on SE coast). I know a girl who runs evening groups and my BIL does it with fire. I'm hoping he'll teach my DD a bit of poi as I do African drumming and it'd be a fun thing to do together.

frakula Thu 29-Oct-09 22:34:01

Poi! Fire poi!

Also...fire staffs.....

PixiNanny Fri 30-Oct-09 09:26:52

I'm crap with staffs! And I'm not fantastic with fire poi either but that's more lack of experience with it than anything and nerves get the better of me :D

paisley, anywhere near the Clacton area? I'm desperate to find some people or a club as I've found watching others and having people there in front of me make it so much easier for me to learn!

paisleyleaf Fri 30-Oct-09 12:10:15

No, East Sussex. Sorry.
Hope you find some though - summer's usually the best time

PixiNanny Fri 30-Oct-09 15:31:21

Np! I know, it sucks that summer isn't all year round Too cold for poi at the moment!

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Fri 30-Oct-09 15:32:59

I used to - but had forgotten about it til you mentioned it! shock

My sister used to do firewings?! She's bloody good at firepoi though.

PixiNanny Fri 30-Oct-09 19:30:04

firewings? *goes off to google* Wow! That's so bloody cool

feetheart Fri 30-Oct-09 19:37:48

Have you got a juggling club near you? Probably the best place to start though there can be a bit of an anti-poi thing sometimes but I wouldn't worry too much.

Failing that have a look for juggling festivals/conventions though the ones down South are a bit thin on the ground at this time of year.

If you can wait there is always Bungay Balls Up which I heartily recommend smile

PixiNanny Fri 30-Oct-09 23:19:22

I didn't think of juggling clubs, I'll have a look. I've been trying to find spinning clubs too but that's not working hmm I'm planning on going to the climbing club based at Essex Uni once my OH moves down here too so I'm hoping to find some spinners there (I've found that 'extreme' sports people tend to enjoy spinning of some kind!)

Problem with the festivals is that I'll be back at PGL next year, so though I'm keeping fingers crossed for spinners there (there usually are a few), I won't be able to attend festivals. Hoping that I'll be back in the UK in time for Summer Solstice and a trip to Avesbury though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now